Were we meant to live forever?

by konceptual99 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

So I believed for years that humans will one day revert to being able to live forever. I was told the only reason we don't already is because Adam and Eve sinned.

If this is the case then why is NOTHING else in the universe capable of the same thing. EVERYTHING else has a finite lifespan. Every plant, fish, insect, animal, planet, and star will end it's existence at some point in time.

Why would nothing else life forever? Why would nothing else close to humankind in the animal world demonstrate any kind of longevity? Why does our life, our earthly home and our solar system require special divine intervention to exist forever?

If God can make things last forever then why does NOTHING else demonstrate that this behaviour or even come close to showing that it is possible.

Simply having to argue that God has to intervene undermines the whole concept.

Why did I not see this years ago?

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

They say that "our cells want to replicate forever"

However, no one mentions your teeth. You only get a single set of adult teeth, and after 1000 years of wear and tear, even teeth with good hygiene will be worn way down.

Look at an elderly person's teeth the next time you can, see what 80 years of wear looks like.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, I often wondered what would happen when our sun ran out of hydrogen and consumed the earth. Perhaps we'd have the technology to leave by then, but doesn't the bible say "the earth will endure forever" or was that not true? What happens to us when our galaxy collides with andromeda? Or when the universe has expanded to the point where stars can no longer exist? Sure, that's all a long way off, but not as far off as forever. It was deeply unsatisfying to imagine that god would have to intervene periodically to keep things running.

The funny thing is that the 2nd law of thermodynamics (the same one that they love to use to "prove" that life cannot form without divine intervention - forgetting that the earth is not a closed system) proves that nothing can last forever. Eventually everything will reach a state of maximum entropy.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I've questioned that and thought about it since before I was even baptized. It didn't seem right, but JWs told me I would get answers in the future. They used to tell me that it's unnatural for humans to die. My response was that it's natural for them to not want to die, but very natural for them to die. As you said, everything dies.

Lemonparty.org: However, no one mentions your teeth. You only get a single set of adult teeth, and after 1000 years of wear and tear, even teeth with good hygiene will be worn way down.

I always said that even if we were perfect, our teeth and knees would wear out. Some JWs would say "but your teeth will be perfect". I would say that being "perfect" doesn't mean they're made out of some indestructible material; they'd still be made of materials that would wear out. You keep rubbing two "perfect" teeth together and eventually they're going to wear down. JWs would say that Jah would keep them from wearing down.

konceptual99: Simply having to argue that God has to intervene undermines the whole concept.

I agree and I would tell JWs that it didn't seem right for Jah to intervene and divinely sustain things in the physical realm, that the physical realm should operate on the laws of physics.

OneEyedJoe: I often wondered what would happen when our sun ran out of hydrogen and consumed the earth. Perhaps we'd have the technology to leave by then, but doesn't the bible say "the earth will endure forever" or was that not true?

I wondered about and questioned that my whole time as a JW.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Should mankind pursue living or wagering upon an appealing imaginary dream ?

If you look back at humanity's history, this waiting and expecting supernatural deities to come to help the problems humanity faces hasn't been too successful.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Then when you pose these questions to Elders you get the stock answer, or answer in the form of a question.

How will crocodiles survive on plants?

"Don't you believe that Jehovah can make anything possible?"

How will I be able to control my erection with all these naked women in the paradise?

"Don't you believe that Jehovah can make anything possible?"

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

Lemonparty.org: However, no one mentions your teeth. You only get a single set of adult teeth, and after 1000 years of wear and tear, even teeth with good hygiene will be worn way down.

I always said that even if we were perfect, our teeth and knees would wear out. Some JWs would say "but your teeth will be perfect". I would say that being "perfect" doesn't mean they're made out of some indestructible material; they'd still be made of materials that would wear out. You keep rubbing two "perfect" teeth together and eventually they're going to wear down. JWs would say that Jah would keep them from wearing down.

Everyone that I always spoke to about teeth said that we would regrow teeth every so often. There are examples of that happening today. While it's not common and is most likely a genetic defect, it has been documented.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

K99 You make a great point on the celestial scale, everything is on a finite life cycle. On a far more earthbound scale though there is one immortal living creature. It is a jellyfish 4.5mm across that cycles between it's reproductive state and a juvenile polyp state and never dies unless eaten by another fish. Turriiopsis dohrnii is the only immortal creature.

Stick that on the back of the Awake WT. Did that come about by creation or evolution? What do you think? Maybe it passed its test in the plankton pool of Eden and received everlasting life!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religions like the JWS incite people to be comfortable to step out of reality , reality has less importance than living toward a dream. Wait on Jah he'll fix things for us, we just have to stick to his earthly publishing house , support it, obey it and stand away from humanity's trying attempt to help himself from improving the human experience.

To even do so is a folly of redundancy in the eyes of the Watchtower Coronation.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Turriiopsis dohrnii is the only immortal creature.

Thanks for that Slidin' - I never knew that.

As you say, I wonder how the WTS would spin it if it was in the mags? It's biological lifecycle hardly a ringing endorsement for humans never dying. Why does nothing else exhibit this behaviour?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit