Met the in-laws Givashtz...

by thinker 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• thinker
    thinker

Met the in-laws this weekend! My wife (born&raised JW) and I have been married 2 1/2 years. Because my wife DA'd right after we met, her parents think I'm the Spawn of Satan and took their daughter not only from them but from God Himself. So I figured they were being really gracious just letting me into their home (under the cover of darkness, of course). Who givashtz ?

It started with mom-in-law smelling smoke on Thinker's Wife. Got her a lecture on the health risks (no mention of sin, Surprise!). TW changes subject quickly. Short introductions, head to the lving room, discuss neutral topics: wood floors, water leaks, droughts, brazilian mirrors, grand kids, etc... Who givashtz?

Then they mention attending the Super-Bowl of conventions in Italy. Out come the pictures...

ThinkersWife: "Did you get to see the Vatican?" (Who givasahtz about the JWs, show me some art works.)

Thinker: (Ouch!)

Active-in-the-truth-laws: "It was nice." (Do you think we givashtz about the Catholics?)

Bring out pictures of the big convention.

Thinker scans photos looking for any males with facial hair. No luck. It's like "Where's Waldo?".

Notices the "deer-in-the headlights" look on most attendees. Center stage was three small stages covered by tarps, not much bigger than hotdog stands. (What a ripoff!)

Mrs Active: "The Spanish Bros and Sis's would wave red and white hankies at the Italians and the Italians would wave yellow hankies back. Tee-hee."

Thinker: "Un-huh..."(Who givashtz?) (Thank God they didn't wave flags! I guess hankie-flags are theocratically OK)

On to the Italian Bethel brochure. Lots of stats about a publishing company using the latest equipment, etc.. (You think I givashtz?) Pictures of a scale model of Jerusalem built from what appear to be tan colored sugar cubes. I'm really eating this up now. (Look what you've been missing, honey!)

Then comes the grand finale. Some yahoo donated his fabulous house to the WT. (Probably screwed over his "worldly" relatives.) (What a fool! Oh, who givashtz?!)

Active-in-the-truth-laws: "Italian marble, Roman columns, square feet, mansion, blah, blah..." (It's like our own little Vatican!)

Some pleasant talk about the world around us follows, then Mr. Active realizes "the end" won't be near if things are going good, so he swings a quick turnaround to talk about moral decay, etc... (Better come back TW, before it's too late. Givashtz yet?)

TW: "Well, it's getting late..." (Get me out of here.)

The Active-in-the-truth-laws get in a couple quick verbal jabs at my wife as we're getting ready to open the door to leave and then we're outta there.

TW: "Never again!" (I just don't givshtz.)

A most interesting weekend. (Just in case you givashtz.)

• waiting
    waiting

Well, HEY Thinker!

Ain't visiting the jw family a treat? My mil lives nearby and she captured my husband on way to the mailbox the other day - making sure to let him know when the Circuit Assembly is coming up....yada, yada, yada. She found out Patio (my sister) is visiting that same weekend.

"Well, why don't you ALL come to the Assembly with me?" Lol. 3.5 hr drive there....then back. She then gave him his WT & Awake mags (as always) making sure he was aware that "time's getting shorter" all the time.............

waiting

• thinker
    thinker

Damn waiting! You got magazines?! You must just be one of Satan's distant cousins. LOL

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Notices the "deer-in-the headlights" look on most attendees.

Brilliant!

Farkel

• waiting
    waiting

Lol - I actually get two sets delivered to our door from my mil. She's 80, btw. My husband told her that he never read them while he WAS a jw.....but that doesn't deter her. "Well, you never know............."

Btw, it is funny that people can wave hankies with their nation's flag colors on it..........but not a nation's flag.

Like waving a hankie of Red, White & Blue wouldn't identify a person as an American. "But that's not a flag - and that's the difference."

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 13 October 2002 17:15:16

• thinker
    thinker

Men and women often use humor to cope with sadness and pain. That's probably true in this case. While the above satire is true and accurate, it doesn't address my sadness over what could have been. For that I rely on poetry:

The Dance

We hummed the tunes

and danced the dance.

Just four people

who had the chance.

Smiling faces on paper masks

and hanging questions no one asked.

• Scully
    Scully

I did the visit to the folks thang this weekend too. The kids and me, one of my brothers and his wife (neither of them dubs) and my mom.

It was nice until mom started trying to "preach" to my sister-in-law. Thank goodness dinner was done and the clean up was finished. It made for a conversation-stopping exit.

"Thanks, it's been great, but time to get on the road before it gets too late."

Heh heh

Love, Scully

• nilfun
    nilfun

Great poem, Thinker.

• thinker
    thinker

Thanks Nilfun,

I have a collection from everyone here on the board.

http://www.geocities.com/avalon_dream/Jehovahs_Witness_Poetry

• nilfun
    nilfun

Thanks for that link, Thinker.

I enjoyed reading those. Good stuff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit