Rejecting something due to unscriptural or pagan origins.....?

by stuckinarut2 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

Starting about the fourth century CE, pagan was the roman word of contempt for the uneducated people from the pagus or village, those who were not taught the sophisticated city beliefs such as Roman Christianity, the peasants who were bedevilled by belief in the folk myths. The essence of this meaning is also found in the word heathen i.e. those living out on the heath or rough lands (where heather grows). By contrast Roman Christianity was a city religion and hence urban or ‘urbane’.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Stuckinarut,

brilliant post! Thanks for that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Is it just me, or are there way more derogatory terms than there are complimentary ones (regardless of language)?
  • Poztate
    Poztate

There are many Kingdom Halls that were former buildings of "Babylon the Great

My town bought an old catholic church in the 1960's for K.H. use. No one seemed to have a problem with it at the time. In the 1970's it was even too small for the 100 plus who attended so they tore it down and built a K.H.

I thought it was such a waste of time and money to build since 1975 was just a few months away

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    The non practicing of "worldly" holidays has nothing to do with right or wrong. As a cult it is all about separating us from the world, making the members feel different from everyone else. It is to do with mind control. Read any book on cults and it will explain this. I remember growing up feeling I did not fit into society and this was deliberate.
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell

My town bought an old catholic church in the 1960's for K.H. use. No one seemed to have a problem with it at the time. In the 1970's it was even too small for the 100 plus who attended so they tore it down and built a K.H.

I recall as a kid one KH that was an old church. You could tell it was an old church by the style of it. Not sure if is still a KH as I think the building is still there. They probably sold it to buy a bigger piece of land. Your right I can't see them doing that now a days.

• steve2
    steve2

And on the topic of one religious group purchasing another religious group's property, filthy lucre is a mighty powerful disinfectant as shown by the sale of the New Zealand Bethel complex in Auckland.

The complex was sold for an undisclosed sum(in 2013?) to a conservative Christian organization. Media coverage had the new owners proudly commenting on their positive dealings with the previous owners, even going so far as stating that the Witnesses were happy a Christian group had purchased Bethel.

To the best of my knowledge, no subsequent letters to the Editor from the previous owners were forthcoming in clarifying or correcting the statement. Hmmmmm.

Filthy lucre is a highly transformative agent.

Back to topic:

No one has yet raised the startling contradiction with the organization's tolerating, if not openly allowing, the rank and file to celebrate wedding anniversaries. The bulk of the arguments against celebrating Mother's and Father's Days can be applied against the celebration of wedding anniversaries.

Yet not a word is mentioned in the publications. Given too that anniversaries are types of "birthdays" you'd think there'd be compelling reason to give Witnesses yet another guilt trip for daring to "glorify" Mom and Pops. Interesting indeed that the organization doesn't. Perhaps even the GB knows even this would be a guilt trip too far for many. Selectivity rules, okay!

• elderINewton
    elderINewton
    Time for the necktie's to revolt due to the pagan origin of being worn by Roman soldiers. I thought I was no part of this world?
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

There is a fear that behind everything pagan activity connected with religion could be a satanic conspiracy. Thats the basic belief of JW. No understanding that even in ancient culture the semen of divine truth is present.

Birthday celebration:

Although the pagan celebrated birthdays, doesnt matter...,
    if even the star was a satanic star direct from the hell, it doesnt matterr
    if even the magi were satans advocates and wanted to whorship a baby!! doesnt matter

Why?

When Jesus was born myriads of angels celebrated his birthday! God and his angels celebrated Jesus' birth sisters and brothers everywhere! They sang a birthday song:

"And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

“Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.” Luke 2 NAS

So the angels celebrated his birthday.

• steve2
    steve2

Besides, if "bad" behaviors taint a practice even though those activities are not an identifying mark of the practice itself (e., g., the beheading of a man at a birthday celebration recorded in the Bible), you could be forgiven for wondering where to reasonably draw the line. For example, for centuries the Bible itself was forcibly - and in the severest sense of the word, violently - imposed on ahherents of other faiths in acts of forced conversions. Yet, even though the Bible was indelibly tainted by being linked with that sort of egregious behavior, I have yet to hear any Witness decline to use the Bible because of its "involvement" in heinous religious acts.

No one is that stupid!

Yet a less severe variant of this type of reasoning is used in condemning the celebration of birthdays.

Surely, on this issue, conscience should guide conviction, not the other way round.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit