Guardian article

by davidmitchell 3 Replies latest social current

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

This lengthy article was in yesterday's 'Guardian', a national UK newspaper. (Comments following thearticle are interesting!):

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/14/jehovahs-witnesses-evangelism-church-god-armageddon

• Heaven
    Heaven

'This allows people to come to us.'

Hmmm... to me, this has fail written all over it. It would be interesting to see stats on just how many converts are made this way versus the door-to-door work.

It does seem to confirm what we've been saying on the board here though. The traditional Field Serve-Us is ineffectual as too many people are just not home like they were back in the '50s and earlier. And the JWs just aren't knocking on the doors anymore. As I've said, I've been working from home full time for over a year now and prior to that part-time work from home for several years and they are just not knocking.

• bafh
    bafh

Stupidest thing I've ever seen a JW say:

“We’re very ahead with technology,” says O’Malley, pulling up today’s set scripture on his smartphone. Later, he says: “We’re like Google – we’ve mapped the world.”

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

And the JWs just aren't knocking on the doors anymore.

But also, in the UK, it's also that an increasing number of people dion't answer their door any more as its invariably someone trying to extract money from you, or sell you something, or get you involved in something. I simply don't answer my door these days when it's not a pre-arranged call.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit