Any proof of mankind before 6,000 years ago?

by back2dafront 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I was just browsing through the Creation book and it claims there's no proof of mankind before 6,000 years ago on the earth. Is this true? The quote a lot of sources in that publication that are against evolution - just wondering if any of these may have been taken out of context possibly?? I'm not against the idea of creation at all, i just don't know how the JW 6,000 year thing coincides w/ science...???

any comments or points to previous threads would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jay

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sir Fred Hoyle contested his quotations in the Evolution / Creation book. He said his statements were taken out of context which construed their meaning and they were used to substantiate incorrect conclusions.

• blondie
    blondie

Insight Book Volume 1 page 459 Chronology ***

From the creation of
    Adam 4026 B.C.E.

To the start of the
    Flood 2370 B.C.E. 1,656 years

To the validating of
    the Abrahamic
    covenant 1943 B.C.E. 427 years

To the Exodus from
    Egypt 1513 B.C.E. 430 years

To the start of the
    temple construction 1034 B.C.E. 479 years

To the division of
    the kingdom 997 B.C.E. 37 years

To the desolation of
    Judah 607 B.C.E. 390 years

To the return of the
    Jews from exile 537 B.C.E. 70 years

To the rebuilding of
    Jerusalems walls 455 B.C.E. 82 years

To the baptism of
    Jesus 29 C.E. 483 years

To the present 1987 C.E. 1,958 years

Total time period
    from Adams creation
    to 1987 C.E. 6,012 years

(1987 12 = 1975) This is the time calculation they used for arriving at that magic date of 1975 (6,000 years of human history + 1,000 years for the Millenial Reign)

The Insight Book has a detailed "bible-based" explanation for the length of each time period. Interestingly, current "prophetic" WTS study books do not say a creative day is 7,000 years long only several thousand years long.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I see.

I just get confused, becuase the dubs talk in thousands of years in terms of human life on the earth, where science talks in MILLIONS of years. ???

http://www.nature.com/nsu/020708/020708-12.html

Is there a chance the way science dates the age of fossils is incorrect?

• gumby
    gumby

Here is some more information :

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/

Go to the "how old is man section"

• AlanF
    AlanF

I was at the last elders school too, but shortly thereafter I did not resign. Like you, minimus, the school really got to me. It was boring as hell. Especially bothersome was the assumption that God was guiding everything the Society does.

AlanF

back2dafront said:

: I was just browsing through the Creation book and it claims there's no proof of mankind before 6,000 years ago on the earth. Is this true?

Of course not. There is a great deal of proof. Go to the link http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm and read the essay "The WTS View of Creation and Evolution" and particularly the section "What the Creation Book Says About the Evolution of Man". In particular look for some comments about the WTS's misrepresentation of the contents of a Popular Science magazine article about the efficacy of radiocarbon dating. The Society actually relied on the religious beliefs of a Young-Earth Creationist to support its views!

: The quote a lot of sources in that publication that are against evolution - just wondering if any of these may have been taken out of context possibly??

The above mentioned essay documents about 100 such problems.

: I'm not against the idea of creation at all, i just don't know how the JW 6,000 year thing coincides w/ science...???

It coincides about as much as 15th-century Catholicism coincides with modern science.

AlanF

• teejay
    teejay

Back,

I'm sure you could search the net for five minutes and find all the info you would ever need.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

teejay, you're right.

hahaha

I found some interesting articles after posting that, but the ones mentioned below are even more useful.

thanks everyone for your input. i just find it amazing how much WTS bends, stretches and distorts the truth. As a dub I never challenged the info in the publications cuz I never figured they'd take anything out of context or plain lie about something.

It's hard to trust ANYONE these days.

-jay

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

You can say that again, Jay.

If there was one negative effect above (or below) all others related to my involvement with the WBTS, it would be that of having an entity that I trusted so much turn out to be so disengenuous. When I discovered how they mis-quoted people in the Creation book I was devistated.

I have a hard time believing anything I read these days without a mountain of support and data to back it up.

Chuck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit