Babylon the Great was the Sadducees & Pharisees

by FusionTheism 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

If you closely look at Revelation, it may click in your head (like it just did in mine) that "Mystery Babylon the Great, the Great Harlot" sounds an awful lot like the Sadducees and Pharisees who killed Jesus and persecuted the Apostles, and tried to suck up to Rome.

Paul spoke about a *Jerusalem Below* and a *Jerusalem Above,* in Galatians. Jerusalem Below are the freshly and evil Jews and Jerusalem Above is the Church made up of Christian Jews and Gentiles, the Seed of Abraham in Christ.

Revelation also picks up on this theme by declaring there is a *New Jerusalem,* while also declaring that the Jerusalem Below, which killed Jesus, is called *Sodom* and *Egypt* in a symbolic way. (**Revelation 11:8**)

Also, Revelation repeatedly describes *Babylon* as being an unfaithful adulteress and Harlot. Usually in the New Testament, these phrases are figuratively used to refer to God's people who have become worldly and unfaithful. This would fit in with the Jerusalem Below Paul spoke of in Galatians.

Finally, what Revelation says about *Babylon* being responsible for all the blood of the prophets and apostles matches what Jesus told the Pharisees in **Matthew 23:31-38.**

What are your thoughts on this?

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Do you ask for our thoughts because you want to debate with those who have different views in order to defend your current stand as correct?

Or are you asking because you want to learn from and respectfully appreciate what others may understand about this, even if it is totally contradictory to what you feel is or should be right?

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Caleb,

Why do you ask that?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yes, the pretesrist interpetation was that the city of ancient Jerusalem was Babylon the Great, and the Wild Beast was Rome, the seven heads being all the Ceasers starting with Julius and ending with Galba whose reign was a short while. And 666 was Nero.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Because I've noticed most people who share a view and ask for opinions then proceed to debate with those who have merely shared their own views.

Some who have done so, I have learned, are doing so to try to "correct" the current views of some they feel require correction. Others feel that G-d or Jesus wants them to do so.

But instead of saying that their intention is to attempt to convince others that their view is one that should be adopted, they merely ask for opinions. When the opinions don't match those of the OP, the OP then proceeds to argue and debate with fervor.

• nibbled
    nibbled

Sounds like, but while they sound similar, they aren't the same thing. Simple proof? Babylon is held responsible for the all the blood, but the Pharisees and Sadducees are not.

Revelation 17:9 shows she is seated on seven heads or seven hills—depicting a structure on top of the Roman empire...

Building upon her being the mother of harlots and abominations of the earth means she also predates the Pharisees and Sadducees.

False religion was set up in ancient Babylon with a pattern of mother/son worship with Nimrod/Tammuz and Semiramis as the 'fulfillment' of the Eden prophecy (properly fulfilled by Jesus and his mother Mary sans worship), it spread throughout the world, and converges in Rome and emerges as the Roman Catholic (Universal) Church from which all other branches of Christianity come as her "daughters". She's proud sitting as a Queen presiding over much of the world (Christ's kingdom) as Christendom. (Isaiah 47:8-11, Revelation 18:7)

Religion is a layer on top of politics, much as she sits 'on top' until they turn on her.

I believe that what happened at the end of the Jewish system will happen at the end of the Christian system.

We have modern day Pharisees and Sadducees but they are individuals/sects who do not equate to the larger system, Babylon the Great or Christendom.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Nibbled,

Thanks for your comment.

I would just like to point out that Jesus did actually say that to the Pharisees too:

Matthew 23:33-38 “Serpents, offspring of vipers, how will you flee from the judgment of Ge·henʹna?

For this reason, I am sending to you prophets and wise men and public instructors. Some of them you will kill and execute on stakes, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, so that there may come upon you all the righteous blood spilled on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zech·a·riʹah son of Bar·a·chiʹah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar.

Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her —how often I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings! But you did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you.

• nibbled
    nibbled

Sure, for those prophets sent to them.

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent to her

Babylon the Great is responsible for far more bloodshed.

"In her was found the blood of prophets and of God's holy people, and of all who have been slaughtered on the earth."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit