Does it say anything in the bible about being a “spiritual head” or the head being responsible for everyone’s “spiritual growth”?

by My Name is of No Consequence 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

My wife is really getting on my case about not being spiritual and leading the family spiritually. At this point, I really don’t go to meetings anymore nor do I have the desire to go. I guess it’s not enough that I work 50 hours a week and pay the majority of the household bills with no complaints. I do not have a problem with taking care of my family in that sense. I just want to show her a scripture or two in the bible that blows this “spiritual head” and “spiritual growth” nonsense out of the water.

It’s funny, I thought I knew the bible, but when I took a step back from the org, I realized that I know nothing.

Any ideas?

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

The spiritual head is something the WT made up like everything else.

I would ask your wife to show you where in the Bible it says a spiritual head is responsible for "Anyone's Life" and then show her this.

(Galatians 6:5) . . .For each one will carry his own load.

(2 Corinthians 1:24) . . .Not that we are the masters over YOUR faith, but we are fellow workers for YOUR joy, for it is by [YOUR] faith that YOU are standing.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Do you have kids, and if so, about what age(s)?

The Borg pushes a fantasy family life that is simply unattainable.

Any anxiety will be shifted from your wife onto you.

I would start with asking her to read and meditate on 1 Timothy 5:8

• Island Man
    Island Man

The bible doesn't use the term "spiritual head", as far as I can remember. However, it does say that:

• The man is the head of the woman. (Ephesians 5:23; 1 Corinthians 11:3)
    • That the woman is to be in subjection to the husband. (Ephesians 5:22,24)
    • That women were created for men and not men for women. (1 Corinthians 11:8,9)
    • That women are not to teach or exercise authority over men. (1 Timothy 2:11,12)
    • That men are God's glory, but women are man's glory. In other words, it says that men are closer to the image of God than women. (1 Corinthians 11:7)

So the bible does in fact convey the idea that the man is the head of the household. There's no denying it, just as there is clearly no way of denying that the bible is a misogynistic book.

• blondie
    blondie

What is your wife, a child or an adult. All adults are responsible for their own spirituality. I grew up with a non-jw father and my mother was responsible for her minor children (me and my bros). But she was told she was responsible for her relationship with God.

• Women Who Made Jehovah’s Heart Rejoice
  • w03 11/1 pp. 8-13
  • The Watchtower (2003)
  • Yes, draw closer to Jehovah through regular Bible study, prayer, meditation, and association with fellow Christians. Abigail’s love for God and her attitude toward his anointed servant were not affected by her husband’s unspiritual outlook. She acted on the basis of righteous principles. Even in a household where the husband is an exemplary servant of God, a Christian wife realizes that she needs to continue to work hard to build up and maintain her own spirituality. True, her husband has the Scriptural obligation to care for her spiritually and materially, but in the final analysis, she must work out her “own salvation with fear and trembling.”—Philippians 2:12; 1 Timothy 5:8.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Keep them coming!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Spirituality to the JW's equals tasks. We have met so many Elders wives who absolutely need their husband to be an Elder (a somebody in the Congregation).

She should be grateful that you provide well for your family and work hard. Sounds to me like she wants you to be a "somebody" in the congregation. We have seen several sisters in the Hall like this. If there husbands were removed or stepped down they (the wives) would be devastated.

Suggestion...run like hell from this cult disguised as a religion.

@ ToesUp:

She wants me to be a "spiritual example" to her and our son. Meaning: go out in field service, comment, study and go to meetings. Forget the fact that I am a hard worker that doesn't spend much money on himself and who doesn't cheat on his wife. It's never enough.

• blondie
    blondie

test

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth
    If she truly wants to live a biblical life argue the converse of male headship. Tell her she is clearly under your headship and should obey you in all matters. Then tell her as her head you expect her to follow all your commands to a T. See how fast she crawfishes away from the idea of a biblical life.
  • Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit