MVP and Smoking.......

by Golden Girl 1 Replies latest social physical

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I was just reading an older post about Panic Attacks and Mitral valve Prolapse.

Just wanted to insert my 2 cents....

I ws diagnosed with MVP many years ago. I also had High Blood pressure. With medication it has stabalized.I also had other valves that leaked! BUT!!!!!

I quit smoking about 4 years ago...and when I went in for my annual ultrasound of the heart...no MVP.None of my other valves were leaking anymore either! He said that happens sometimes when people quit smoking!. So now I don't have to take antibiotics when I go in to get my teeth cleaned.

I noticed some said they had to take antibiotics and some didn't think it was necessary.

Just a short story about that!.This IS a true story!

My hubby used to have a habit of using a toothpick and breaking it in half when he was done. Well one day I was vacumning the carpet and there was a toothpick stuck in the loop I guess. Well the vacumn picked it up and some how shoved it right into my ankle bone.Well no harm. I hurt pretty bad..since it was sticking out of that pointy part of you ankle on the side. I just pulled th toothpick out and washed it and put some sort of antiseptic on it and finished cleaning.

Well about 30 minutes later I had such intense pain there I wanted to scream. I was breaking out in a cold sweat. I drove with my left foot to the Drs office and he saw me right away. He gave me all kinds of shots and something for the pain. I aleady had red streaks forming!. He then went on to tell me that the human mouth was the dirtiest part of our body! Because it was a used toothpick it was covered with germs!

So I would strongly recommend (If you have MVP) using the antibiotics before getting your teeth professionally cleaned. When they clean your teeth it releases all that bacteria and it gets into your bloodstream. If you have MVP...which is a leaking of the valve and allowing blood back into your heart, the bacteria can enter the heart and cause a life threatning situation.

Just my experience! By the way...my dentist would not touch my mouth until I swore I had taken the antibiotics! After the Dr told me I didn't need it aymore..The dentist made him write a letter and Fax it to him before he would let them clean my teeth!

Morale of this story?

Watch those toothpicks..and Quit smoking..It helps you in more ways than one!(Insert smilie face! I can't get them to work lately!)

Golden Girl...aka...Snoozy

Edited by - Golden Girl on 7 October 2002 0:32:41

• IronGland
    IronGland

Damn. That's crazy. Thanks for the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit