Do we need elders in the 21st cent.?

by KAYTEE 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

It would appear from scriptures that Jehovah is dealing with an organisation??? (I am not defending anything or anyone here) My query is:-

If we can be accepted as individual christians in the sight of Jehovah, please can anyone explain the scriptures in Titus and Timothy regarding "reaching out for office of overseer",(servants and elders)

Could it be that the scriptures are referring to the early christian congregations?

Your comments would be appreciated, especially bible-based ones.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Katie,

I think that those words were at that time indeed directed to God's congregation. However I strongly believe that the congregation slowly and surely dissolved through the years as imperfect men tainted it with misconceptions and beliefs.

Whether or not JW's are now God's anointed congregation is probably your next question. Just because it says that in Bible doesn't mean it has to be applied now or else. It's quite evident to me that there's no way God's backing can be solely with the JW organization. I believe there are a lot of really good people amongst the ranks that are sadly being misled, however I don't God will ever hold them accountable for that. I also do not feel God will hold anyone accountable for NOT being a Witness. If my first time ever hearing of the Witnesses was this year, there's no way in HELL I'd join them, simply because of the child molestion issues that have come to light. And I don't see how a loving God could anyone accountable for making such a decision, ESPECIALLY if they had children.

just my two cents worth...

take care,

jay

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Can you believe it?? I've just come across this thread!!

Sorry about that and sorry to be late!

Interesting questions, KAYTEE, gladly commented on by Ozzie.

appear from scriptures that Jehovah is dealing with an organisation

That's what the WTS says anyway!!! Now I'm not convinced at all. Quite the opposite in fact. When Revelation speaks of Jesus holding the churches or congregations in his hand, it speaks nothing of an organisation. My own feeling is that the congregations or house churches were quite independent gathering places. This is quite a topic on its own, so I'll not go down that track.

How does this 'sit' with the encouragement to reach out for the office of overseer etc? Quite easily IMO. It remains true whether the gathering place is small or large, doesn't it?

Was this speaking to just congregations of the first century? Well, of course, it WAS speaking to congregations in the first century, but just then? I don't think so, for "all scripture is written for our instruction", etc But, as I say, this doesn't mean that a large corporate structure is envisaged in the admonistion to reach out for the office of overseer, any more than it was in the first century.

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 12 November 2002 4:40:53

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit