JW comparison

by messenger 2 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

The Tory mantra was (and still is), Oppositions dont win elections; Governments lose them. That may have been true for much of the postwar period, when Britain was a nation clearly in relative decline, when the economy was regularly subject to wild oscillations and when the spirit of the nation was one of pessimistic fatalism, verging on despair. But in an era of prosperity and economic stability, when Britain is gaining ground on the rest of Europe (partly, though not exclusively, because of economic reforms introduced in the Tory years), this attitude will not do.

Not only will the Tories look as silly as Jehovahs Witnesses, constantly postponing the effective date for their prophecies of doom. They will also find themselves out of touch with the spirit of the times. The trouble with Mr Blairs earlier attacks on the forces of conservatism was that an optimistic and self-confident nation tends also to be attached to its present institutions and to its past history and traditions. An optimistic country does not accept the status quo (just look at America), but equally it does not want a Maoist permanent revolution. What a confident country wants is permanent revisionism, as one of Mr Blairs Cabinet colleagues puts it.

• messenger
    messenger

MOVIE REVIEW

Plenty of room for laughs in 'The Chateau'

By Wesley Morris, Globe Staff, 10/4/2002

In director Jesse Peretz's light comedy ''The Chateau,'' Graham, a white hipster-doofus (Paul Rudd), and Rex, a cool black businessman (Romany Malco), inherit a big house. The men are brothers, the house is in France. And the semi-improvised movie, as it clashes cultures like kids whacking on pots and pans, is funny, even after it has run out of ideas.

Graham and Rex (ne Alan) Grandville arrive at the estate with papers explaining to the confused, reluctant four-person staff that they are now the rightful owners and intend to stay on the premises until they can unload the property. The groundskeeper Pierre (Philippe Nahon) is mystified and annoyed by Graham's Franglish (''I recevu this letter.'') and tells his boss Jean (Didier Flamand) that the brothers Grandville must be Jehovah's Witnesses. Not quite. But they are unwittingly playful saboteurs of the French language.

Rudd's Graham is a particularly hilarious assailant. He runs around the movie in an overcoat and galoshes inciting communication breakdowns with his prep-school drawl. Rudd's comedy is remarkable because it's mostly verbal. If small American movies have a more charming, intelligently self-pitying clown, where is he?

• messenger
    messenger

Lindsay Forfa, a private from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said she recently got married, ``so personally I'm not looking forward to the possibility of being deployed to Iraq.''

``But I think the United States has to take control of the situation,'' she said. ``Saddam is a terrorist in every way.''

Sgt. Alex Meek of Red Oak, Iowa, said he was ``impartial'' about whether war should start, but added, ``If the president tells me to do my job, I'm going to be one of the first ones to jump up and say, 'Ready!'''

In nearby Watertown, N.Y., Jehovah's Witness preacher Armand DeBardelaben suspects war is inevitable, but hopes he is wrong.

``Any time you have war, people die,'' he said. ``I don't want anyone to die.''

DeAnna Tonak, 18, of Centerline, Mich., is a student at the University of Michigan's Dearborn campus and worries that some fellow students might have to fight if war breaks out. She also fears war would raise the danger of terrorist attacks in the United States.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit