How much damage has internet done against the The Watchtower Society ?

by opusdei1972 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HeyThere
    HeyThere
    There is a reason why there are so many talks discouraging the internet and independent thinking...if the actives actually researched the religion on the internet and thought "independently" there would be many more leaving.
  • zeb
    zeb

"In the age of information Ignorance is a choice."

Oh wow! this is super true..

• Etude
    Etude

The Internet did not affect my decision to leave at all. In fact (due to my misplaced desire to "return") it never occurred to me to find information on the organization. When I started on the Internet (1980) there was no World Wide Web or browsers. We had to connect to an on-ramp to ARPANET and use Gophers, Archies and Veronicas to find stuff.

It was after reading Crisis of Conscious (a recommendation from a friend) that they started to lose me. I wrote the GB a letter about the Mexico-Malawi issue. After receiving the most disappointing response in my entire life, I decided to drop them. Nevertheless, I'm thankful for sites such as this and the dedication of some individuals to identify issues and information that will reveal the WTBTS lies.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I never was a JW, but my view is (as expressed by others here previously) that most committed JWs would be unswayed by - and quickly move away from - 'apostate' information. But all it takes is one motivational push, an argument or slight by someone else at the KH, or knowing someone involved in a child abuse case, or the irrational closure/sale of a KH, and that would be enough of a spur for many JWs to be prepared to read some of the vast amount of information available.

They might close their eyes, but once you've read it you can't un-read it and it WILL have an effect.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Joe Grundy- I agree with you totally. Although it was the internet that was the final factor in me leaving. There was a big long lead up to of none Internet stuff that finally lead me to it.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Pandora's box is definitely opened and now the Org is helpless - and clueless!
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    How much damage has internet done against the The Watchtower Society?

Not enough yet!
    Let the hemorrhage of members continue until the WT croaks!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Not enough yet" was my exact thought when I read the Thread Title.

I am one of those who would more than likely still be stuck in were it not for the wonderful ability to click and find Info so easily, bless the Internet !

I think it possible I may well have been dead by now in fact, I was suicidally depressed toward the end of my time with the Borg, it was advice on here to seek a good Therapist that saved me. Thank you all.

Long may the work of freeing people continue, but it isn't really the Internet that is doing it, it is all the wonderful contributors to it, especially all the Posters here.

• Watchtower-Free
  • cofty
    cofty

Good point made above about the countless potential JWs that escaped before they were under control of the cult.

This will continue to hurt them badly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit