How the Watchtower Screws Up Your View of Scripture

by CalebInFloroda 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

From John Aquila:

Caleb,

Why were the Apocrypha: 1 and 2 Maccabees, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Wisdom (Wisdom of Solomon), Baruch, Tobit, Judith, and additions to Daniel and Esther accepted by Jewish believers as part of the Hebrew Bible?

John, you actually answered your own question. They are not accepted as part of the Hebrew Bible because they were not composed in the Hebrew language. These are Jewish writings that were composed in Greek.

You see Jews divide their sacred texts by different categories, and we also don't view "canonization" in the same light that Christians do. (In fact, the Scripture "canon" was invented by the Christian Gnostic heretic Marcion of Sinope, and even the word "canon" is Greek, not Hebrew.) The Hebrew Bible, or the Tanakh contains texts written in Hebrew (or Hebrew characters) and composed before the Hasmonean Dynasty Era. Anything written after that or in another language doesn't qualify. Simple.

Just because something is not part of the Tanakh does not mean that it is not sacred or inspired. The question over these books is not totally closed or finished like Christians claim it is. Jews never officially defined a "canon" because it (the "rule" or "canon") was a device raised in a dispute in the Catholic Church. We don't have a central hierarchy to decide which books are this or that (unlike what Protestants want to admit, the New Testament was decided and closed by Catholic Church authority, and its canon is part of Apostolic Tradition, the same Tradition that sola scriptura Protestants say has no authority...hmmm.)

And no, there was no council of Jews at Jamnia in 90 CE that decided it all and closed the canon. That is a hypothetical formula that is used to discuss how the shaping of the Tanakh could have come about, but it is generally rejected as a historical event.

To be honest, the books you mention are part of Jewish Scripture, but what we call the Greek Scriptures or the Septuagint. And books like Maccabees contain readings that are reviewed each Chanukah by some Jews (because those are the books that mention the origin of this observance).

Jews also have the Talmud, the Mishnah, the Kabbalah too. The most sacred and important is the Torah, the five books of Moses. Just because it ain't Torah doesn't mean it isn't important or not from G-d. And there is question whether or not a "Jewish canon" was ever officially decided or "closed," so to speak. For all genuine purposes, however, never think of the Jewish canon as being anything like or settled by the same points Christians use for their canonization purposes.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

The word “firmament” is not a water canopy.

Hey Caleb, I never understood that reading until today. Thanks!

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda
    That's right. The word "firmament" actually comes from a Latin term which means "to hammer out" meaning to hammer out metal and spread the metal like a sheet.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Caleb - I find the assertion that the Exodus was literal history to be far-fetched.
  • CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@Cofty

Not as presented in the book of Exodus, but there was a period in Egyptian history where there were mass exits of slave tribes after the Hyskos dynasties fell from power. This appears to be the foundation of what became the story of the Exodus for the Jews. That is what I am saying.

And I have no problem with people who find that a far-fetched assertion. You are okay in my book.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    CalebInFloroda

Interesting, thank you for your detailed response!

I actually thought about the JWs use of the divine name when I was "waking up". They named themselves it, they use it many times, they put it in the NT without basis and so on. It has become mundane because of it, you can even do "innocent" jokes about God using his name... And everyone uses is when they talk about JW, not uncommonly saying disrespectful things about Jehovah or deliberate pronouncing it wrong. And I guess that is one of the consequences of using it so much, they talk about not giving reproach to Jehovah's name but somehow they manage to do it themselves by using it so much... Here, people are writing things like: "jehoober" and that is probably because of the JWs over use of Jehovah imo.

So if I understand you correctly, you believe that the "name" Elohim is more holy than the tetragrammaton? Or is it different depending on what language you write it in? Or if you speak it?

“When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words."
    Why do you think this is referring to repetition? To me it sounds more like we should mean every word when we pray. Not just say a lot of words to make the prayer "impressive".

"The repetition “as the Gentiles do” has to do with uttering divine names of deities."
    Why? Could it not be that Jesus is referring to their use of; pointless word, many words or lack of sincerity?

Reading your post I could not help to wonder, do you think that the NT is accurate?
    If not, how do you know what Jesus actually said or didn't say and what he actually meant?
    If you do, how can you not think he was from God? He resurrected dead, rose from the grave himself etc.
    Or do you think only some of it is true? In that case, how do you pick which parts to believe?
    Or do you simply use the NT to point out problems with the JWs doctrines without believing a word of it yourself?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

While I do not argue the stand of atheism (because as a Jew I find it totally logical and acceptable),

how do you feel about anti-theism?

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

CalebinFloroda.... you say that certain texts where removed because they where Greek and not Hebrew.(yes I know a horrible oversimplification)

Yes when the scriptures where being gathered there was no evidence for those scriptures in Hebrew. However it is my understanding that modern scholarship has decided that there is evidence that those texts where originally in Hebrew. What is your take on this?

Also it is interesting to note that Jesus quotes the Septuagint many many times. So we do know that in the time of Christ that those texts where widely distributed and respected.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks CalebinFlorida for your perspective on things, it is much valued here.

I am not a believer, I lead an evidence-based life, but I do see quite clearly from your balanced and informative posts that your position is one that, though of faith above evidence, makes far more sense than that of Christians, and, needless to say, of Jehovah's Witnesses.

What I find to be ludicrous about Christians of all hues,(apart from the scholarly among them) is that they do not know anything of their Holy Bible that you could call in-depth knowledge, understanding and appreciation.

And yet, they will pronounce with seeming authority what god has said to them through it.

A few Christians who border on your sensible approach will say that the christian faith was there before the Writings, that they are a product of faith, not the basis for it, but they are few and far between.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@C0jtr013r

So if I understand you correctly, you believe that the "name" Elohim is more holy than the tetragrammaton? Or is it different depending on what language you write it in? Or if you speak it?

No. The Divine Name is the most holy of all, but so is Elohim. Because “God” is used so often when we speak of the Creator, and because when you physically write it down the name “God” might be destroyed as refuse, it became a practice to write it as G-d. The custom is not to expose something holy to the possibility of being mistreated if possible. We live in an electronic world now, so the practice has just followed. But one can also consider that the information can be repeated or reprinted on a material that can equally be treated as mundane, so the reasoning stands.

Why do you think this is referring to repetition? To me it sounds more like we should mean every word when we pray. Not just say a lot of words to make the prayer "impressive".

You are correct that this is also talking about mindless prayers, but look at the text carefully. Jesus has been talking about not being like “the hypocrites” and then suddenly changes to not praying “like the Gentiles.” He is no longer talking about Jewish behavior, but Gentile behavior. What type of Gentile repetition is Jesus speaking of?

Two things to remember: Psalm 118 shows that Jews do repeat phrases in prayer. The Psalms are still our official prayers, and when you see us praying at the Western Wall we are often praying the Psalms. If Jesus was referring to mere repetition, this Psalm (and a few others) would be forbidden to use. Do you think Psalm 118 is bad? It uses repetition. Should we avoid and maybe even remove this Psalm because of this?

Second, I am not giving you my personal interpretation. What I mentioned is actual history about heathen worship. And this is recognized by scholars. Notice from the Catholic NABRE footnote on Matthew 6.7:

The example of what Christian prayer should be like contrasts it now not with the prayer of the hypocrites but with that of the pagans. Their babbling probably means their reciting a long list of divine names, hoping that one of them will force a response from the deity.

Protestants also agree, adding even further possibilities to the mix (it's not just one thing or the other). Wikipedia states the following under “Matthew 6:7”:

France notes that in this era Gentile prayer was portrayed as repeated incantations that had to be perfectly recited, but where the spirit and understanding of the prayer was secondary. Fowler states that the Jews believed the pagans needed to incessantly repeat their prayers, because their false gods would not answer them. The followers of the true God had no need to repeat their prayers as God would hear them the first time. Schweizer presents an alternate view. He does not feel battalogeo is a reference to repetition, but to nonsense. He argues that the Jews of that era felt that the pagans had forgotten the true name of God, and that their prayers were thus filled with long lists of meaningless words in an attempt to ensure the true name of God would at some point be mentioned.

Reading your post I could not help to wonder, do you think that the NT is accurate?
    If not, how do you know what Jesus actually said or didn't say and what he actually meant?

I’m Jewish, I can only go by what the evidence and study of scholars reveals. I do believe Jesus was a real person, yes. I think the text reveals the beliefs of those who believed he was the Messiah and tried to make the circumstances fit their preconception.

If you do, how can you not think he was from God? He resurrected dead, rose from the grave himself etc.

Jesus may have been a prophet. But Elijah and Elisha also resurrected people, and one person rose from the grave after touching Elisha bones. None of this makes them the Messiah in Jewish theology anymore than Jesus.

Or do you think only some of it is true? In that case, how do you pick which parts to believe?

If you want a really close view on practically what I think about the New Testament, read The Jewish Annotated New Testament. The commentary there contains the closest to my views.

Or do you simply use the NT to point out problems with the JWs doctrines without believing a word of it yourself?

I don’t believe that it is fair to use the NT as a puppet. And I don’t agree that it is always right to just point out “problems with the JWs doctrines,” either. I can share what I know from scholarship to help people make decisions, but at the same time even though I was once a JW in my youth I don’t hate them or believe they are evil.

I do think they leave people with wrong views of Scripture and Judaism in particular (as well as wrong views about atheists, Catholics, Mormons, tuna fish, the paying of taxes, homosexuality and tight pants, etc.). And I feel I owe it to others to help them see things are not as black and white as the JWs lead people to believe. I think it an injustice not to try to help a little, even if my views may not be fully acceptable by some or may need adjustments themselves.

But the NT was written by Jews (except for Luke and Acts, and then the author was greatly influenced by Judaism), and there is a movement among Jews to study it, learn from it, and accept it as part of their own history. At one time the Christians viewed themselves as nothing more than another sect within Judaism, and at the time they wrote the NT they likely were nothing more. So there is a lot that we as Jews can learn from it ourselves. It is a story of how what some Jews believed about the Messiah.

The fact that this ushered in a 2000-year "Messianic Age " where Jews were persecuted, tortured, expelled from country after country, and then thrown into concentration camps by Christian nations in an attempt to wipe us off the face of the planet kinda makes it hard for me to accept the claims about Jesus in the New Testament...but that's just me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit