Everlasting life?

by DanTheMan 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Maybe I dreamed this, but I swear that there was a WT article sometime in 2001 that, in discussing John 17:3, made some mysterious (mysterious in light of their long-time teaching on this issue) that the Greek word translated "everlasting" had different shades of meaning, that it may have referred to "quality, not quantity". In other words, knowing Jah and the one he sent forth would result in an abundance of quality life, not necessarily endless life in the chronological sense. I was in such a WT mental stupor at the time that I didn't think much of it, but now that I think about it, it seems that this may have been the very first teeny little baby step in a gradual and huge doctrinal shift.

Then again, maybe I dreamed this. Does anyone else remember this, and do they know which mag it appeared in? I threw almost all of my WT in the dumpster when I dis'd last March.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Well that just TOTALLY sucks!

All of us are swimming in chit so that sometime in the future someone else gets an abudnance of quality in their life. And they won't even remember us. The Bible say's they won't. Can't remember the script.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, dantheman, if that is true, they slid that past most of the JWs I know. The most important thing to any JW is their own everlasting life. Read this quote in this Sunday's WT:

"The "knowledge of God" that you have taken in likely includes the truth that Jehovah purposes that faithful mankind live forever in Paradise on earth."

This is the first and only specifically identified "treasure" that the WTS mentions that JWs should be searching for and maintaining our appreciation for.

If the WTS is changing the conditions, there would be many JWs up in arms.

Can you be more specific about where that was mentioned?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Blondie:

That's just it, I can't remember. And maybe there was more to the article, something like, the "everlasting" applies to the quality of life Jah's servants have now (gag) and of course then the "quantity" comes at a future time. I dunno, I can't remember.

But, how many of us know J-dubs who will say, "even if the big A never comes, this is still the best way of life!" I heard that one a few times when I was in.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, dantheman, if you come across it, let me know. I'll look when I have time and ask discreetly. Supposedly, the new WT-CD 2001 is coming out the end of this year (already 1 year behind).

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I've never been a dub, but from my past studies of the Hebrew Bible, it seems to me there's a mistake sometimes when the word Eternal is used - as in Eternal punishment. I think I remember it should be translated not as Everlasting Punishment (that which does not end), but Eternal referes to GOD (as in the Eternal One), therefore it should translate God's punishment. That sheds a different light on the word by taking away the 'without end' meaning of the translation. (just a thought from the past that I THINK is correct...buy hey, my brain does need a vacation).

• showme
    showme

Double edge
    So then Eternal Life would equate to some thing like life with God? Sounds like a good study. Eternal, everlasting, any other phrases?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    So then Eternal Life would equate to some thing like life with God? Sounds like a good study. Eternal, everlasting, any other phrases ?

Right.... Things like this seem to 'pop' up from my past studies if that's what we're currently talking about... I'll have to think and let you know....

Oh yeah... Geneisis 1:... God created the Heavens and the Earth ... I think the word God is plural (not sure on that one), and the word 'created' should be rendered 'put together' or 'organized' ... in other words God brought together elements..... to 'create' the Heavens and Earth....

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Not sure on that one, and not sure on this one, and indeed not even sure if the word God in Genesis is plural, but still he is the Oracle on the Scriptures, the One giving us the correct transaltion ..................

(Sorry, OK, bad, bad, mean, mean - but I just HAD to write that line ........ :-) )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit