What started me on the path to waking up about the lies the WT teaches?

by oppostate 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate

It was a simple question: Isn't Jesus my "mediator" if I put faith in him like the Scriptures say? The research to that answer, from the w79 4/1 p. 31, was mind blowing. How dare they deny me a belief firmly stated in the Scriptures? And that's what started me questioning everything and reading CoC and ISoCF, after that the scales were gone from my eyes for good.

What research helped you see the WT for the false prophet it really is?

Was it researching 607BC like Carl Olof Jonsson?

Or was it that Jesus couldn't have been crucified on a stake but on a cross due to the mark of the "nails"?

What research helped you to awaken?

• Londo111
    Londo111
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Only JWs will be saved in Armageddon.
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force
    Their thievery.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

The teaching that only faithful JWs will survive Armageddon tormented me for decades. I had recurrent nightmares about this as a pre-teen and as a teenager. I had no desire to be in paradise earth alone, without my family members.

The shunning of family members violated my conscience. I found it unfathomable that I should shun my son, because he was DF'd, yet I could still associate with my daughter who had committed the exact same "sins", because she was not an active member when she committed them and had not been "disciplined by Jehovah."

The overlapping generation doctrine was my doctrinal tipping point. That was just plain crazy.

I had simply had enough. I knew I wasn't ever going to shun my son. I was unwilling to be a hypocrite and associate with him under the "essential family business" loophole.

I walked away first and started researching TTAT about four months later. My research confirmed that I had made the right decision.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Deciding that all who benefit from Jesus' sacrifice can partake. Swore to myself I could never go to another memorial and pass, reject, his sacrifice again. And I havent! But partake monthly at my new church, and I never take it for granted.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

The Org's doctrine that not only does the Lamb of God take away the sin of the world, (John 1:29) but also, a person's own death does the exact same thing!! (Romans 6:7 applied literally instead of figuratively)

You don't have to be a Bible scholar to understand what the surrounding verses - 2,4,6,8,10, & 11 are saying - the apostle Paul was figuratively referring to the "death" of a person's old personality & practices, as the following scriptures confirm:

(Romans 7:4,9,10) "So, my brothers, YOU also were made dead to the Law through the body of the Christ; In fact, I was once alive apart from law; but when the commandment arrived, sin came to life again, but I died. And the commandment which was to life, this I found to be to death."

(Romans 8:10) "But if Christ is in union with YOU, the body indeed is dead on account of sin..."

(Ephesians 2:1) "Furthermore, [it is] YOU [God made alive] though YOU were dead in YOUR trespasses and sins,"

(Galatians 2:19) "As for me, through law I died toward law, that I might become alive toward God..."

(Colossians 2:13) "Furthermore, though YOU were dead in YOUR trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of YOUR flesh, [God] made YOU alive together with him.. . ."

(Colossians 3:3) "For YOU died, and YOUR life has been hidden with the Christ in union with God."

(2 Timothy 2:11) "Certainly if we died together, we shall also live together;"

(Revelation 3:1) "‘I know your deeds, that you have the name that you are alive, but you are dead."

The Org's doctrine ridicules the need for Christ's sacrifice, by saying that a person's own death achieves the same end!

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2

1975, I was there in the years leading up to it. It was all anyone talked about and how there was no point striving for anything in this system (I didn't) because the end was coming in 1975.

I was a child at the time. I stayed for years after that because I was a child. It was when it was mentioned many times after that and people denied it. Especially when I brought up the subject to new ones who weren't there at the time. I argued with them. They said no they never said that. Other things also had bothered me, that only jws would survive Armageddon.

I stopped going years ago with these doubts. It was only in the past few years that I started researching on the internet and were my eyes opened!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    607 and it was Londo's fault!
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    It wasn't any one doctrine in particular that disturbed me (although many doctrines did perplex me, I viewed it as a test of faith to believe them). During the last few years I began to have this subtle suspicion that we were giving too much importance to an organization. I started to feel that the JWs worship their organization like the Japanese worshiped their emperors, or the people of North Korea worshiped Kim Jong Il. That suspicion began to erode the scales covering my eyes. Seeing our esteemed (k)GB on broadcasts sealed the deal for me that this religion is unbalanced and even dangerous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit