Wt news in the Philadelphia area

by DevonMcBride 5 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

There have been many posters here who said they heard JW's have been challenged quite a bit during field service due to the increased exposure of the Watchtower Pedophile news that has been circulating around the news media. Here in the Philadelphia area, we have a two major newspapers and neither one of them has ever printed anything on this subject. With the exception of Dateline and Connie Chung, there would be no information for the public here to learn of this.

I was just curious if anyone from around here would know if the JW's in Philly and the burbs are being challenged about the Wt and pedophila during field service too.

Devon

Edited by - devonmcbride on 28 September 2002 22:35:4

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Can't comment on the Philadelphia area, but as far as it goes over here in England following the BBC Panorama report, there has been according to witnesses I have spoken too, no mention of that programme in field service from householders, colleagues at work that know of my beliefs, and those that had seen the programme thought that the Panorama report was very one sided, although tragic that those victims involved in abuse at the hands of a few elders that mishandled cases merits attention and action, without a doubt, the general consencus is that as much as SilentLambs wants to portray it........the Organisation just isn't a hiding place for paedophiles as they state. It is not the responsibilty of elders to report to the police or authorities, that must surely rest on the parents to report, and it is this that the organisation encourages them to do. There is no threat of d/f or shunning as I have heard other posters say, as loving parents this is their duty.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    ........the Organisation just isn't a hiding place for paedophiles as they state. It is not the responsibilty of elders to report to the police or authorities

Looks like scooby has been eating some moldy snacks and went on a bad trip

• Scully
    Scully

ScoobySnax:

It is not the responsibilty of elders to report to the police or authorities, that must surely rest on the parents to report, and it is this that the organisation encourages them to do.

What do the elders do in the case of a youngster who comes to them to report that they are being molested/abused by their "loving parents"? That child is trusting their "spiritual guides" to be, as the WTS claims they are, a refuge and a stronghold; people who can be trusted to look out for their interests. Surely a child who confides in an elder in this manner is entitled to assistance from that elder?? Even if there is no LEGAL obligation to do so, it would be the MORAL and ETHICAL thing to do. How heartless to turn such a trusting young one away, and say "Sorry, but I can't help you, I'm not obligated by law to do so."

Love, Scully

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Scooby raises a point and an attitude that I used to have, prior to the Panororama programme. The reason is that loyal dubs just cannot comprehend that such vile things are going on in their midst

I watched Panorama in a state of shock and realised - "Silentlambs are right" it really is a big problem and it is not just a case of somebody groping about .. This is serious abuse by a significant number of parents and guardians of children

Scully puts it right, but one has to full grasp the problem and sadly too many dubs put it all down to apostate slander

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear

I'm in the Philly suburbs and I have not heard anything.

Oreo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit