The misuse of historical objects/text to prove the bible is divine

by adjusted knowledge 2 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I had a former high school teacher post on facebook about the Cyrus cylinder proving the narrative in the book of Ezra and Daniel. The article I clicked on was by some Christian organization that states the cylinder proves that God moved Cyrus to allow the Jews to go home and worship.

But no where on this cylinder does it mention the Jews. Yet all these people are commenting as if it is fact. Reminds me of the GB using misquote to prove their beliefs.

• The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, same goes for prophecies, there's tons of biblical whatevers odds are something will line up sooner or later to make some kind of superficial connection.

But that just points to another problem with prophecy, they're NEVER really specific about timeframes so how prophetic is it anyway? It's always more coincedental than prophetical.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Speaking on behalf of the Jewish mindset on this, we don't view the Cyrus cylinder as proof that the Bible is divine. It definitely corroborates the events in our history and written in Jewish texts, but the cylinder itself doesn't prove that the Biblical text is inspired or even true for that matter.

Maragaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind has many details that match the empirical evidence of the history of the Civil War, but that doesn't prove it is inspired or that the novel is a true story.

The grasping at straws come from Christians who feel the Scriptures are some all-encompassing panacea text that give answers from Heaven to any and all questions anyone might have. This type of mistaken thinking requires the Scriptures to be accurate in history, science, and other details that belie the Jewish understanding of these books as narratives that offer a religious take on our own ethnic history and not necessarily historical data.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit