What kind of errors in the Bible?

by TheWonderofYou 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LeeT
    LeeT

The scribblings ascribed to Paul may have been passed down faithfully pretty much intact, but nobody thinks Paul wrote most of them.
    http://coolingtwilight.com/pauline-authorship-survey-chart/

I've only seen the first 3 so far but fascinating.
    http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145#sessions

• LorenzoSmithXVII
    LorenzoSmithXVII
    CalebInFloroda7 hours ago

LorenzoSmith,

I wasn't saying Jesus was sitting upon two animals at once, but that two animals are mentioned as being used to ride in according to Matthew.

And this is not propaganda. My same point that this is problematic is found in the footnotes of the New Jerusalem Bible and the New American Bible. It was not a Jewish perspective but one I learned from Christian academics and scholars.

And I know everything the JW have said about Scripture. I was a JW for many years and have a large library of Watchtower publications at my fingers. I've read everything back to the very first Watchtower, Charles T Russell's writings, Rutherford's books, all,the publications that followed by Franz, volumes of Watchtowers, Aid to Bible Understanding, Revelation! It's Grand Climax...!, the Insight Book, Make Sure of All Things, the Live Forever book, all the latest pubs on JW.org too.

So I didn't make my comments up, I have read the Watchtower's view, and I find you very hateful and disrespectful towards me and desirous of only jumping to conclusions. Oh well. If I was only like you and shared your religious views!

Very sorry. I apologize for coming off too strong. But you did give an example, of all examples of a contradiction that doesn't exist. And now that you are not saying he sat on both of "them" animals, but that only Matthew includes two animals whereas the others don't, then what's wrong with that? Matthew is not contradicting here. Though it seemed to me you were implying that. Matthew was just filling in more detail. Was he lying about the she-ass being there though?

Sorry I misunderstood you. Glad we got that cleared up. Thanks for setting the record straight.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    One major error in the Bible is the story of David and Goliath, experts have looked at the armor Goliath was described as wearing and it's matches that of a much later Greek hoplite soldier. The Philistines are shown on the walls of Egypt showing exactly what they wore. This shows the writer who made up the story did it at a much later time and he didn't realize that the soldiers of the time line depicted didn't have armor like this or even the technology to create it.
  • LorenzoSmithXVII
    LorenzoSmithXVII
    Crazyguy2 hours ago One major error in the Bible is the story of David and Goliath, experts have looked at the armor Goliath was described as wearing and it's matches that of a much later Greek hoplite soldier. The Philistines are shown on the walls of Egypt showing exactly what they wore. This shows the writer who made up the story did it at a much later time and he didn't realize that the soldiers of the time line depicted didn't have armor like this or even the technology to create it.

Not quite an internal contradiction, but very interesting! I hadn't heard of this one before. But reminds me of another passage where Jesus is chastizing the slave he sent out to make a profit with a drachma coin and when the slave just returned the coin Jesus said at the very least he could have put it in the bank to earn interest. I was astounded that in Jesus' day they had banks who charged interest just like today! That's amazing to me.

I've also heard that the Bible mentions horses in Egypt at a time when Egypt hadn't been introduced to horses per the archaeologist. But they are going by when horses appear in Egyptian artwork, not really when they might have first been present inEgypt. Not every aspect of local life ends up in the artwork of kings.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Were you thinking of camels not horses,? I never heard of horses being an issue the Egyptians had chariots before the Israelites were ever mentioned but I know there are those that say camels came at a later date then they were depicted being used in the Bible.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Yea goliaths mail of overlapping scales would have been quite the marvel in jos day
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

TheWonderofYou - "What kind of errors in the Bible?"

What do you need?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Is gospel Matthew really an Eyewitness report or is it not more a early rabbinic rethoric, Matthew was written for a audience in Syria, perhaps Damascus, as we hear from the bibel exegets, where a mixed community of many jewish-christians and many jews lived togehter, the daily problem was to preach the christian gospel to the jews, the aim of the gospel matthew was to explain a Jew with all best jewish rethoric methods that fulfills all dreams of sophistacted Jew or rabbi at this time. Written for a apostolic school e.c.

Some believe Matthew is an eyewitness report? We could think, okay, Matthew read in Mark and Luke about one donkey,ojojoj they forgot the second and added I will add it. And now everything is clear. I write about two because I have the septuagint version with two monkeys, after all here stand "and", although I know that this was a paralelis. Doens not mind me, i create a wonderful story about two donkeys and the citation has to fit my idea.

But his usage of the Septuagint citation and interpreting in a some creative crazy way and directing it to a such sophisticated jewish-christian audience,he should have known that a misinterpretation of the scripture would bring resistance, incomprehenions under the jewish audience. But the gospel of Matthew became the most prominent. Was the jewish audience completely unaware of the hebrew bible text? Where they uneducated? Could they be easily be mislead of the christian sect leaders? Could they made believe by these constructions that Jesus fulfills every prophesy and would they never notice his errorr? Was it Matthews big mistake? Did it destroy his least fame and scientific reputation?

found that https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.php?id=25755

I notice that the different verions 1 donkey- 2 donkey is a good example of in which manner the biblical canon developed. The different stories in the gospels, here Mat, Lk, and Mk have not been harmonized. Never. Would not be a harmonisation important to avoid misunderstandings of the readers? Today perhaps yes. But Jesus never said to anyone that they should write gospels for the audience! He did not say that they will go around with bibels to preach and they shall translate it in all languages. It was because of the love for stories that the church wrote down the storeis about Jesus. But it was not necessary at all to read the stuff it became a tradition. The church decided to read some scriptures in the assemblies, but it was not necessary for every christian to study the bible - say the complicated words of the relevation or the letters of paul - to buy or make a copy of parchments or papyry or to open translation offices.

Moreover the bible was only understandable in the antic asian world with knowledge of their customs, why should the whole world read that book at all? The western church had many problems to understand it. - the jewish concepts, because of the sepration between jews and christians. Because the holy spirit found it would be not bad to use it as study material, because god decided lately that this was his only possibility to speak to man? Doesnt God have other possibities than written letters? Doesnt God speak to hearts (as is written in the Bible) when it is silent and in moments when no crazy and busy writing committees are around, which could destroy the silence ? Did Jesus not 40 days keep silent in the desert to contact God before accomplishing his will and not reading in parchments?

Later more about the citation....

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Was Matthew's writer a splendid rethoric who used the hebrew scripture and its greek version the septuagint LXX in the most wonderful way - rabbinic like - or was he a scharlatan who misquoted Gods word to make the impression that Christ is the awaited jewish messiah? He shall be innocent until proven guilty anyway. He is our best gospel writer still about the kingdom. I am currently reading all google books previews where i can find something about two donkeys and Jesus entry. Already found some interesting books about grammar and rethoric in Matthew, there are many sientific books about that matter. You need to compare and go into detail. But interesting

The important site Zechariah 9,9

"Rejoice greatly, o daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph o daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you, he is just and endowed with salvation, humble and mounted on donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a donkey"

which is speculated that Matthew mistranslated or only copied from a unknow version of the greek bible translation called septuagint

"Say to daugther Zion, see your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey" Matthew 21,5.

Is not merely a citation of Matthew of a greek translation of Zecharia but even more interesting. Its not merely a misunderstood copying. Some researchers say that he tried to cite the hebrew spricture in a special kind, that is a even a better translation of the hebrew origian than the Septuagint made. Did h try to make the dogs bolloks citation to show the prophecy-fullfillment with the example ot this one site. And did he fail?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Did he try to make the dogs bolloks citation to show the prophecy-fullfillment but did he fail to

understand that "even on a colt, the foal of a donkey'" was only a poetic paralellism?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit