What kind of errors in the Bible?

by TheWonderofYou 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

50,000 errors in the Bible. Quote from Awake! magazine September 8, 1957 - PDF link

JW LEAKS

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Thank you for so many comments. I will have to check thoroughly.

My comment refers to the New Testament, the christian scriptures,

The orginal writings are not conserved because they were written on papyri and parchment.

The text is not errorless but anyhow the church treated the gospels and letters as holy.

The scriptures played always an important role in the church and were translate into many languages already early.

The gospel writers were very creative writers to convince some jews to become christians, so they changed the meaning of words that were used in Hebrew bible and gave them a new meaning in the christian context.

E.g. the man of sorrows in Jesaja 53 an hundreds of other examples.

The NT is thus a document of the church's faith. But not everything that is important for the faith is written down in the bible.

The bible canon was not a rewriting of older manuscripts at the church council,

http://www.consider.org/library/text.htm

Permanet problems that bible translators have to face:

http://biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_trans_metzger3.html

Canon, Textual Criticism and Copies of copies, the wealth of evidence, Interview with Bruce Metzger:

http://ho-logos.blogspot.co.at/2009/02/canon-textual-criticism-and-more-with.html

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

"You have to understand that the canon was not the result of a series of contests involving church politics. The canon is rather the separation that came about because of the intuitive insight of Christian believers. They could hear the voice of the Good Shepherd in the gospel of John; they could hear it only in a muffled and distorted way in the Gospel of Thomas, mixed in with a lot of other things. "When the pronouncement was made about the canon, it merely ratified what the general sensitivity of the church had already determined. You see, the canon is a list of authoritative books more than it is an authoritative list of books. These documents didn't derive their authority from being selected; each one was authoritative before anyone gathered them together. The early church merely listened and sensed that these were authoritative accounts."

Found that in the interview with Bruce Metzger

• punkofnice
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

What errors in the bible....?

well to begin with there was "in the beginning god created the heavens and the earth...." It just goes on from there.

Seriously, as freemind and many other have pointed out, batman comics have no errors in transmitting what they intend to say accurately... But im not dedicating my life to do batmans will based on that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Morph - I wanted to be Spider-Man when I grew up. Sadly, I'm not but my Spidey sense tingles when people try to justify the rubbish in an old book of myths.
  • The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10

Here's the difference, I don't need any of recorded History to be true, I'm not basing my current life around a belief system where-in any particular piece of history HAS to be true in order for my belief to hold, I'm not threatened when they find counter evidence to History as we know it, I'm not required to defend Platos existence, I don't need him to have existed.

All of these things are a preresiquite for Biblical belief, it HAS to be true to believers, it HAS to be accurate, believers feel threatened by counter evidence, they HAVE to defend the Bible lest their belief system crumble to ashes, their very way of life depends on these things.

It's quite sad/pathetic really, to have faith you HAVE to be ignorant of so much.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

LorenzoSmith,

I wasn't saying Jesus was sitting upon two animals at once, but that two animals are mentioned as being used to ride in according to Matthew.

And this is not propaganda. My same point that this is problematic is found in the footnotes of the New Jerusalem Bible and the New American Bible. It was not a Jewish perspective but one I learned from Christian academics and scholars.

And I know everything the JW have said about Scripture. I was a JW for many years and have a large library of Watchtower publications at my fingers. I've read everything back to the very first Watchtower, Charles T Russell's writings, Rutherford's books, all,the publications that followed by Franz, volumes of Watchtowers, Aid to Bible Understanding, Revelation! It's Grand Climax...!, the Insight Book, Make Sure of All Things, the Live Forever book, all the latest pubs on JW.org too.

So I didn't make my comments up, I have read the Watchtower's view, and I find you very hateful and disrespectful towards me and desirous of only jumping to conclusions. Oh well. If I was only like you and shared your religious views!

• pixel
    pixel

if Jehovah can't even keep his own name in the bible how can I trust anything else in there to be correct?

This.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"if Jehovah can't even keep his own name in the bible how can I trust anything else in there to be correct?"

i dont know about spiderman but i believe everything written in "journey into mystery #83" and base my life on that ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit