Disfellowshipping Votes

by sloppyjoe2 7 Replies latest jw friends

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

For current and former elders.

When sitting on a judicial committee, was a unanimous vote required in order to Df?

If the answer to above is "no", what happened when 2 were for Df and one wasn't? What happened when 1 was for Df and 2 werent?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Majority rules.

• 1Averagejoe
    1Averagejoe

Even before I got fully awake I didn't feel it proper to public reproof let alone Df. There was always something I could pick on in supporting my arguments mainly due to the cases I couldn't avoid handling were those that were self confessed. That was a plus. I also had the watchtower on determining weakness and wickedness (as if!) then later when I woke up the arguments that only if the person was a practicer. So due to who in the body you have in the j. C. We at times would have to meet again after considering the case for a week.

However, there was one case of a youth who got involved in an immoral act and confessed to the body. But despite all the effort it all went south. The new elder and I voted private reproof. The third elder got worked up and claimed that the person had received prior counsel about association and should be disfellowshipped. Saying if we didnt think so he would include a letter to the branch expressing his view and we were being linient since it was an elders child. Boy was he worked up! We arranged for another meeting.

By next meeting, new elder had been convinced by worked up elder to vote for disfellowshipping. MAJORITY won! That person now years later has never returned.

Found out later that the bully elder had had hard feelings towards this youth prior due to some business venture!

So... There you have it, I hope. Sad but it shouldn't be left to a few humans to decide on such a life destroying judgement.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

When I was an elder it was the majority...which usually meant the biggest bully on the JC got their wish. Having said that, I never ever recommended a DFing in the few I was involved with. I remember arguing the case against it for one poor chap.......he shuns me now. How ironic.

DF the Governing body I say!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    JCs and the GB's decision-making process are the weirdest applications of democracy I've ever heard of.
  • millie210
    millie210

Not only their democracy Vidiot, they are also the weirdest in their nepotism, their exclusivity and their (cough, cough) "theocracy".

Come to think of it, in what line of thought are they not weird?

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

Vidiot,

They believe it's a theocracy... As if...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Okay, but if it's a "theocracy"...

...why the f**k do they vote on decisions???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit