UN involvement: why?

by happysunshine 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

I was blown away reading about the UN and the 'library card' excuse. But I have a question: Why did they join? Was it to lift restrictions in banned countries? Thanks- J

• link
    link

The simple answer is CREDIBILITY

Being registered with the U.N as an N.G.O. would indicate to world governments that the organisation was recognised as a bona fide religion and not just an obsolete cult. This greases the path a bit when setting up in countries that might be a bit hostile to JW's.

For a more difinitive reason perhaps someone who was around the org in 1991/92 could comment on what was happening (if anything) that would make this more important at that time. Otherwise it might only have occured to them then!

link

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I know you probably don't want to go here but look at the large threads on the board donated to this scandal.

Read through the hundreds of posts and you will get a feel for it. You will understand the cover up and the purpose.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=13530&site=3

There are some on the board who fully believe it was just people in WTS headquarters who would just do it and didn't care about the consequences.

Others, such as Mad Apostate (who has been sadly deleted off this board) and me believe that the WTS used the "association" to legitimize the corporation in the "real" world with governments who are going after them etc.

hawk

p.s. - I have yet to update my research as I have found some more stuff (such as the Muller Quote used in the June 1, 1991 WTS rag) on the subject but please go to my research shown at Zev's site for any documentation you may require - http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Thanks for the links hawkaw! You did a lot of work. I'll see when I have time to mull through the archives.

I'm going to surmise that the WTS's ultimate defense will be that it was the lesser of two evils. Joining allowed many more to 'hear the message' and eased persecution. Claiming divine guidance is the cure-all. It's an un-falsafiable defense, AKA fairy tale. It's nice to have that deux ex machina card in your back pocket for arguments. However, this brings up questions like, "Well couldn't a special pioneer or one of the anointed salute the flag or some other 'formality' so as to more effectively spread the word in some situations? Not to mention the massacres based on "no party card policy".

Any comments? -J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit