Songmistress update

by songmistress 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• songmistress
    songmistress

Just thought I'd update you all on the latest. Finally was seen by a psychiatrist. She seems to think I may have a form of Bi-polar disorder. I have been started on a new medication and she is strongly suggesting that I take part in an intensive day treatment program.

I've realized that unhappiness and depression have been underlying everything/everyday, even on the good days (waiting for the other shoe to drop). The surprising part of this is my hubby's reaction. I expected him to comment about how our financial situation is very unstable. (he is on a temporary lay-off and at my job, there is not enough work to keep me busy). I guess somehow, he heard me say just how unhappy and depressed I am.

It looks like I will be doing this day-treatment thing here in the near future. I'm scared about what will happen. I wonder if my boss will understand. I don't think he can fire me for having a medical problem, but there are other reasons to get rid of a person, not the least of which is lack of work. However, today, I got the message loud and clear that I must take care of myself before there is no me to take care of.

I appreciate all of you who have been so encouraging to me (you know who you are) and so caring. Thanks and blessings to all of you.

I will keep you posted.

Love

Cheryl

• Matty
    Matty

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date.

(((Cheryl))), you've been through such a rough time, and you scared the crap out of us a couple of weeks ago; we all love ya, and don't you forget it!!

Just thought I'd give you some hugs, and put this back to the top!

Love

Matty

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hello There,

I am happy to hear you are being treated. There is someone in my family who suffers from Bi-Polar, and getting the correct medication can mean a complete turnaround for you! You will be the same person, only chemically balanced.

You probably do need the daily counseling as well. Usually Bi-Polar, as well as other conditions take years to be diagnosed. And during those years, individuals do what they must to cope amid all the internal distress.

As far as I know, no employer can fire you for having a medical condition. You probably should sit down and have a talk with them. Most employers are understanding.

I wish you well, and hope that you make excellent progress. Medications do take a little while to get into your system, so be patient!

You will have to let us know how you are progressing.

Sentinel

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

That is really good to hear Songmistress. I think having someone tell you what might be what you have is a huge relief. I know in my case , I read all I could on the subject and was shocked to know that I could trace my symptoms back to very young childhood. There are so many factors in having bipolar disorder. There are two kinds Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 2, clearly different in symptoms and extreames. Alot of Bipolar 2's are thought to just have PMS if they are women, or just have depression, because the highs can be very productive. Sometimes, when people think of bipolar disorder/manic depressive, they think of someone going crazy and acting totally out of control. This does happen, but alot of times it is not that regonizable unless you have read all the symptoms , which vary from person to person, or lived with someone who has it.

I read the Patty Duke story, she has bipolar disorder and called it a "Brilliant Madness", it was a good look at how she went years undiganosed and when she found out she was so relieve to know it was a brain chemical problems, like a diabetic , it wasnt her fault.

I even read that having great trauma in your life at a young age, and maybe even later, can trigger such a violent reaction to stress , grief, fear, that it alters your brain chemistry forever.

There is just so much they do know about the brain, but so much more they do not understand and probably never will. But thank God , for therepy, books, and meds when you need em.

Oh and friends who love ya and hope you find peace Hugs , Dede

• songmistress
    songmistress

Thanks guys, I appreciate your concern. Matt, I am sorry if I scared you. I just recently realized just how desperate I have been. Living has been a major effort.

Sentinal, My boss was really cool about the whole thing. Everything is worked out and there will be no problem.

Dede, yeah I read Patty Duke's book. I found it to be very powerful.

The biggest shock has been my hubby, he is taking this much better than I would expect, and we both know in some ways we are in for a rough couple of months since he is currently on unemployment and I won't be getting paid while I am gone since I have not accrued much in the way of sick and personal leave time. Our folks have offered to help keep us afloat .

thanks again

Blessings

Cheryl

• Swan
    Swan

Cheryl,

If I can be of any help to you, just let me know. Depression and me are old friends and go way back. It moved in years ago and I have learned to live with it, since there is no good way to permanently evict it. Now it comes and goes like an annoying roomate, but I don't let it bother me as much anymore. Good meds and therapy help a lot.

Hope to see you again at the next MEET-UP!

Love,

Tammy

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Songmistress, Glad to hear your Hubby is supporting you. That will help you alot. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. Feel free to e-mail Tink anytime, she was diagnosed as Bi-polar in 1999, she's been thru alot as well and may be able to share some of her experiences with you. She had friends help her along and that has made a big difference in her health. Hang in there.

CC

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Hi Song,

A lot of clinics offer treatment on a sliding scale, especially if insurance doesn't cover all the services. So make sure ask about that when you sign up for the day treatment program. I work at a mental health clinic...we offer sliding scale based on income and family size, but they discontinued the day treatment program. I'm in a rural area and there just wasn't enough resources to keep it going. You're lucky to be where they still offer day treatment. I hope you find it helpful. And so glad you found out what was wrong.

Mrs R

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit