Misrepresentation of disabled poeple in the media

by Celtic 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

In the past, disabled people were thought incapable of looking after themselves. We were rarely consulted about our needs, our wants or our preferences. Our parents or our 'carers' were asked what we wanted to eat, when we should go to bed, and people talked over our heads as if we were not there. Although this attitude is now beginning to change, people with learning difficulties still find that they are not allowed to grow up and make their own decisions.

Much of this is explained by the negative images of disabled people in the media, books, newspapers, comics, films and television. For example, in childrens books disabled characters are often presented as evil and bitter like Long John Silver or Captain Hook, or as sweet little things who get better in the end, like Heidi's friend Clara.

There are, of course, also thousands of books about how to manage, diagnose and assess disabled people. Most publishers will only accept those works which they feel will have popular appeal. This means that they will usually only support traditional representations of disability, eg disabled people should be brave, cheerful and overcome their difficulties through immense personal effort. Rarely, books by disabled authors which reflect our own views of ourselves in society, are published. Some of our most challenging works, such as 'Disability equality in the classroom: a human rights issue' have become available only through self-publishing.

There are very few books where disabled children or adults are just part of the story and pictures without being the whole focus or absent. Reporters and programme makers are also very powerful in creating in people's minds images of people who are otherwise unknown to them. Because disabled people have been largely segragated from mainstream society, the general population is easily persuaded that the images and stories they watch and read are a true representation of us. Take any selection of newspapers. How many stories are about disability? How many do you think are written by disabled people? How many times are the words 'suffered', 'victim', 'brave' or 'tragic' used? What feelings about disability does this style of reporting stimulate in the public's mind? Unsurprisingly, most people remain unaware that a growing number of disabled people have a very different story to tell.

The common perception among media people is that disability is a turn-off - if you put it on prime time television you lose half the audience. Not long ago a disabled actor, Nabil Shahan, was turned down as a presenter of children's programmes because the programmers thought his physical appearance, as a person with brittle bones, would frighten children. The only story is if the story is about hope of a cure, or some amazing feat someone has achieved despite their 'appalling afflictions'.

Moreover, some fictional characters encourage the disrespect, name calling and bullying. A current example is Simon in 'What's Up Doc?', a well known childrens TV programme broadcast every Saturday morning. He has spots, big teeth, unfashionable clothes, plasters on his face and is 'stupid'. Simon is a figure of fun, created to make children laugh at him. Such imagery is deeply offensive to disabled people.

Concluded tomorrow with - 'The Habit Of Exclusive Thinking'

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK http://www.selfdirection.org http://www.can-online.org.uk

edited for spelling error in title

Edited by - Celtic on 23 September 2002 11:22:37

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I have very little patience for people who make fun of disabled people. In high school, I only had one friend, and when she made fun of a girl in a wheelchair, I put her in her place and then ended the friendship.

I don't know what is considered "disabled" anymore, but I do not like the way it is portrayed in the media. I saw a program once about how discrimination against disabled people is alive and well. They showed (via hidden camera) people going into several different places for job interviews. One was an "attractive" but completely unqualified person, and the other was someone who was perfect for the job with the exact qualifications requested, but was in a wheelchair (as their only disability...just couldn't walk). Almost every single time, the unqualified person got offered the job. Same went for housing. It made me very angry.

• spider
    spider

Very true Celtic

I think we are all a victim of social conditioning in this matter. The prescence of disabled people in the media today is much like the prescence of women or ethnic minorities decades ago. Very rarely were women given primary roles within film and television and, even then, these were limited roles which would follow typical stereotypes. It is only relatively recently, with actors like Will Smith, that black characters were viewed as just human beings, and not playing out a black stereotype - gangster, drug dealer etc.

The last bastian is the disabled. I remember when I saw "The Theory of Flight" with Helena Bonham Carter playing a woman with a very debilitating disease. This was unusual of course but not unheard of. There have been other roles for disabled characters. Famously, "the rainman", or perhaps, "of mice and men". What made "The Theory of Flight" more shocking than these roles though, was the fact that this disabled person wanted to have sex. Shock horror. I had to question my own reaction to this as I was actually uncomfortable with the idea of a disabled person having sexual feelings. Why should this be? Because the typical representation of the disabled are passive victims who one must feel sorry for. They are not portrayed as just people, human beings with desires and thoughts just like us.

There is a very long way to go with this. I did think it was a hopeful however that the BBC at the moment have an introductory 10 second motif which comes before most programmes. It is an upbeat sequence in bright colour with people in wheelchairs moving in a coriagraphed dance. That is a move in the right direction and is hopefully a sign that the BBC have some commitment to seeing a more positive and varied portrayals of the disabled, at least on their channels.

Actually it occurs to me now that both the "rainman" and "of mice and men" were films with mental disabled characters whereas "the theory of flight" was not. I can't think of any films off the top of my head about physical disabled characters apart from this - oh there was "my left foot" but thats it. And of course if they ever do make such films they always make the disability itself the issue. They are never just ordinary people.

Edited by - spider on 23 September 2002 13:35:55

• little witch
    little witch

steven hawking, brilliant. pbs, tlc, discovery, discovery science.

God, he is brilliant! I only know of this great man through the media!

christopher reeves, superman! who hasn't seen at least one, and followed this man's progress for the past few years, in the news media, and his great strides in stem cell research. I wouldnt have known what a stem cell was, if it were not for the news channels covering his senate appearances, as well as interviews. He is beginning to feel human touch, and is breathing on his own for short periods each day!

brady, who was shot in the line of duty, protecting president reagan, and went on (in a wheel chair) to create ''brady's law'', requiring a waiting period for getting handguns.

there is also a senator, who is in a wheelchair. i dont know his name, but he makes speaches alot on c-span.

how bout marlee matlin, (is that right)? starring in ''children of a lessor god''. academy award nominee.

how bout, albert einstein, nobel peace prize winner. whom his teachers claimed was '' incapable of learning''?

and an endless hollywood ''who's who'' of dyslexic actors and actresses?

two of my children are being tested for learning disabilities this week, and i lifted their spirits by name dropping these examples, hope it helps. but i cannot agree that the media makes disabled people look bad. i would not have known of these great examples, except for the media.

one more, the man who played ''mini me'' in austin powers! he is terrific! what a comedian!

oh, and me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit