Disfellowshipping Procedure Changes

by WTLies 7 Replies latest jw friends

• WTLies
    WTLies

Has there been any changes as of late in the way the Judical Committe operates? I was just in email with a dub that assured me that the Elders no longer make decision to disfellowship but instead it's made at the Society. The Elders only recommend. Then he sends the matter to the Soceity by mail and then the Society let's the Elders know the decision later.The funny thing about the email was when she said:

"It's better this way because Jehovah makes the decision to disfellowship or not"

It's amazing only a few years ago I used to think the same way about the appointments made for Elder Ministerial Servant and the like. I was comforted in the fact that men did not make appointment but rather Jehovah chose each man personally. The Governing body prayed over my name and Jehovah actually approved me to serve as an Elder! Oh man how naive I was lol. Ok back to the question, has there been any changes or could this dub be talking about procedures in another country?

William

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

From a procedural standpoint the society always had the last word. The reality is that rarerly if ever does the society override the decision of the local elders in such matter.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here is a Huge List of Quotes about Disfellowshipping, if you are interested (If it is a big important case like Bowen's, then the GB is definitely the decision-maker):

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=35751&site=3
  • benext
    benext

Recommendations go to someone in Service Dept. who stamps and returns. I recently heard of a case where elder recommendation was not approved. Disfellowshipping is done by Judicial Committee and form is checked to make sure Society procedure was followed. In other words can we (the "Society") be sued.

• WTLies
    WTLies

When I served as an elder back in '97 we would meet with the person and then try to determine if they were repentant of the sin. After a lenghty dicsussion we would invite the person back in the room and inform them of our decision. Of course we would send the appropiate forms off to the Society but it was not for approval, but rather notification of our decision to disfellowship. Now if the person appealed we would wait until after the appeal hearing and if the disfellowshipping was upheld, then we would send off the forms to the Society. I know the Society has the final say on everything but it would be extremely rare for them to overturn a disfellowshipping decision. In my experience anyway. They usually leave that decision up to the local elders, but this person was saying it's now just the oppiset. Now in every case the Soceity makes the decision.

I know there has been a change in the way appeals are done. Appeals used to be handled by the C.O., he would select a appeal committee from elders in a different Congregation if possible and then they and the original committe would meet again with the accused. Now the first part of the appeal process is still the same but if the appeal committe and the original committe do not agree and neither concedes, then both send letter to the Society and then the decision is made there. But the Society making every decision to DF is new to me, but hey I've been THANKFULLY out of the loop

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Hello WTLies.

Question - how would you and your committee go about trying to determine if a person was repentant? Did they have to meet some sort of criteria? So you and the others were like a judge and jury. Just curious, I am not a JW.

• WTLies
    WTLies

In order to determine repentance first we would consider what caused the person to sin in the first place. This is key as it could determine the persons fate no matter how repentant they are. From the answers given by the accused and from the evidence before the committe we are to ask ourselves if the accused sin was because of Weakness, or Wickeness. Wickness is almost always resullts in DFing. Weakness was always more understandable. Also if a person freely confessed before anyone else brought the incident to the elders, that goes along way sometimes. We would also ask several questions that are designed to tell if the person is repentant such as:

Do you think Jehovah has forgiven you? I suggest not answering this one yes or no, becaue either way could look bad on you. If you say NO, then they reason if you think Jehovah has not forgiven you then he knows in your heart you are not repentant. If you say YES then you have bypassed the committes decision, you went over their head so to speak. Rather I would say something like this:

"Brothers I truly belive if it were not for Jesus' Ransom I would be deserving of death, I thank Jehovah everyday for sending his only begotten son to die for me. I only hope in the future I can show better appreciation for the love that has been shown to me."

Do you think you should be forgiven? You can say YES to this one, but give detailed reasons why and fully accept blame for committing the sin. Also mention how much you've prayed about it, and why you think you are still in Jehovah's favor (this is good for the first question too) mention how he's blessed you as far as starting a new bible study (believe it or not this goes a long way in cases I've sat on)

Do you think you should be disfellowshipped? Again don't asnwer yes or no it's not your place to make that decision but rather say something like:

Brothers especially at a time like this I need to be as close as I can to Jehovah's righteous Organization, I need to be spiritually upbuilt and to spend my time in Jehovah's service so as to avoid the many distractions this old wicked system provides.

If you are disfellowshipped what would you do? You can something simular to the above answer here but always include, how you're going to spend more time in field service. If you committed be a sin of a sexual nature, they might ask:

Did you enjoy it?

Did you have and ogasm?

Did you perform oral sex? Always answer NO to all three questions. I think the reason is self explanatory lol. Here are some questions that the elders ask themselves after you have left the room. The commettee takes the evidence of the case and your reponses to their questions, into consideration as they answer the questions put to them from the Flock book. The asnwers help determine if you are repentant or not. Here are some of the questions the committe must answer. They come right from the KS (flock) book pg 112:

Is there evidence of the person's craving wrongful things
    or courting trouble? Or did the person momentarily
    succumb to weakness? (Jas. 4:1 ) Was he aware of the gravity of his sin? (Gal. 6:1 )

Had he been admonished that his course was leading
    toward danger? (1 Thess. 5:14)

Are there extenuating factors, such as emotional or
    mental disorders or having been a victim of some type
    of abuse in the past, that should be considered?

Was his confession voluntary, or did he have to be ac-
    cused by others before confessing?

Was it a single offense, or was it committed more than
    once?

By the way never say you did it more than once, especially if it was sex.

There are many vaious questions the elders ask the accused, the ones I asked here are but a sample and by no means are my answers the only ones that should be given. I am just letting you know what has worked out best in my experience serving on judical committes.

William,

Former member of a Non-Prophet Organization

• messenger
    messenger

There is no change in procedure, this is typical "theocratic warefare" in trying tomake the WT look good in some twisted way. The committee has always made the decision. It is pure stupidity to think that the JC woudl send a report to WT in which men who know nothing about the case would make a decision. You have to use your head, which JW's are not used to doing.

There has been no changes in this area, it is just some dub trying to spin things in a good light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit