two questions about Jesus

by showme 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• showme
    showme

Two questions about Jesus. The first one might seem a little silly. But I was Told by a JW that Jesus had short hair. "Really" I said. "How do you know that". And there was no answer to the question. I just saw a dipiction of Jesus on the watch tower site, and he had short hair. Until now, any depiction of Jesus I had seen was of a man with long haig. (White man) but his skin color was probally dark. So why the difference in JW teaching???? Next, whats the latest on the Cross or stake debate? I heard on JW say he was impaled on a stake. I was under the belief that being impaled was to put a stake up the anus and let gravity force the stake through the body.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Dunno about the cross/stake stuff.

The reason Jesus is portrayed as he is in the WTS publications is because of the general appearance of people who lived in the region where Jesus supposedly lived. To be honest, it would be hard to imagine a blond-haired, blue-eyed Jesus in the Israelite nation, don't ya think? So they're probably closer to the "right" appearance for him than other images. But as to the length of his hair, who the hell knows?

I think the "traditional" appearance of Jesus has more to do with the prejudices of Europeans/Anglicans/whatever ages ago when those pictures/icons first started appearing. I could be wrong on that; that's just my general feeling.

• showme
    showme

I agree he probally looked like some one who actually was born in the middle east. That seems to escape most people. Probally down right freaks some folks out( Close minded predjudice types). The hair thing seems out of place though. didn't most men have long hair back then? I could be totally wrong. But hoping someone knew more about it. the reason I ask is, I was told I should cut my hair. when I mentioned Jesus having long hair I was told he actually had short hair. So thats why I ask.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Jesus was a middle eastern semite and you can bet that he looked like one. He probably had somewhat long hair, but not so long as a female. Depends on what you call long.

Regarding the stake; I don't think there is much evidence to support the WTS position on the stake vs the cross. The Roman method of cruxifiction was designed to produce asphyiation over a long period of time. That purpose was carried out better with a cross piece which allowed the victim to boost himself up to get a breath. Of course, to do that he had to put pressure on the nails in his feet which must have been very painful. When they wanted to speed up the process, they broke their legs so they couldn't boost, or used a spear to kill them. Victims were known to last many days on the cross. In Jesus's case, they sped up the process to avoid having them contaminate the Sabbath.

• kes152
    kes152

Dearest Showme,

The Son of God grew up in the city of Nazareth, in order that the scripture may be fulfilled in him saying, "He shall be called a nazarene." (Matthew 2:23; Isaiah 11:1). Nazareth is the city of Nazarites (ones given to God from among the sons of Israel). The vow of the Nazarites is recorded for you in Numbers 6:1-4. Special attention in verse 5 which says, " All the days of his vow of separation there shall NO razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in which he separates himself to Jehovah, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow LONG."

When his days of separation are fulfilled, he shall approach the tent of meeting and carry out his obligation to Jah. He shall have his head shaved and offerings made according to the Law (Numbers 6:13-21).

Thomas said regarding his death upon a tree, "Unless I see in his hands the print of the NAILS, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe. " (John 20:25) If He was killed on a "stake/pole" then how can there be "nails" in his hand? Should not "one nail" suffice as is depicted in the Watchtower magazines?

Peace to you,

Aaron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit