wat is it with jw's and uni degrees?

by sithembile 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• sithembile
    sithembile

hey everyone, although im currently studyin with jehovahs witnesses, im dont understand the thing with jw's and a secular career or degree..i wonder is there biblical reference to it...??? im very cynical about many of their teachings...and can see my association with them will be short, although i must admit i thought they had some basic principles rite...help...

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

sithembile,

Welcome to the board.

You see, the JWs are instructed that seeking a secular career or degree means "putting materialistic things first before Jehovah-God". That is one reason why they vilify Higher Education and they want people to go pioneering to convert others.

Another main reason is because Higher Education and a secular career promotes/encourages independent and critical thinking. The JWs don't want any of that because they don't like their doctrines being questioned. They want all to think alike and in unison without analyzing and thinking thru the doctrines.

Now, I recommend that you stay in College. If they criticize you, then ask them... do they have a college degree? If they do, ask them why can't you get one? If they don't, then ask them straight up what is wrong with getting a college education?

Believe me, go thru this board and you'll read countless accounts of people who missed college opportunities (scholarships and education at a younger age) all because of following a nonsense, stupid religion.

Regards,

Ajax

• pincushion
    pincushion

All the Dub's I knew had large families 4-6 kids, one family had 12 kids..all raised on a janitors wage. I swear all of them in my town are janitors...quick to spout off that they were not materialistic, but the hand was quicker for handouts and borrowing. Of course none of the kids have gone to further their education, they just sweep the brooms Monday-Wednesday-Friday so mom and dad can pioneer. I also have known them to (from when i was a publisher) take the monitary donations they succeeded in getting while door to door..to buy a nice roast of beef and have a big gathering in their homes, pass the bottle around and say it was the work of Jehovah that put that roast on their table. Did they eventually put the money donated to where it belongs?? Who knows, but I am sure the people they conned the money out of would not be please the money was first not used for what they intended.

• JT
    JT

my wife and i are in college at 39- we missed out when we were 18-22

read the exp of others very sad

• goatlike
    goatlike

run sithembile!

Edited by - goatlike on 22 September 2002 17:38:10

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

RUUUUUUUUUN FOREST! RUN!

Pioneering isn't going to buy you a car or provide for your family, if you have one. The worst thing you can do is deprive yourself of an education. They ARE basically nice but check out the child abuse stuff and their association with the UN which they themselves condemn.

TT

• sithembile
    sithembile

yes..yall quite rite, as ive been questioning alot of the teachings...qutie frankly i dont get the 1914 big deal...and as my study has progressed ive noticed the focus has changed from loving God, to paradise...i probably sound like a happy clapper born again christian, but help me Lord, i will not be blinded......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit