Bronze Goddess of Fire...DEAD! :o(

by Funchback 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• Funchback
    Funchback

Sad, but true. "Aunt Esther" died a few days ago from complications of diabetes. If I remember correctly, she played a JW in the movie 'Friday'. Anybody remember that scene?

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) LaWanda Page, who played the fearsome, Bible-toting aunt Esther Anderson on the 1970s television comedy ``Sanford & Son,'' has died. She was 81.

Page died Saturday at Centinela Hospital Medical Center from complications of diabetes, friend and producer Donald Welch said Monday.

After the aunt Esther role from 1973 to 1977 on ``Sanford & Son,'' Page appeared as aunt Esther in the short-lived spinoff ``The Sanford Arms'' in 1977. She also starred in ``Detective School'' in 1979 and ``B.A.D. Cats'' in 1980.

Born in Cleveland on Oct. 19, 1920, Page began her show business career as a dancer and chorus girl on the club circuit where she was billed as ``The Bronze Goddess of Fire'' because she lit cigarettes with her fingertips, swallowed fire and touched flaming torches to her body.

Childhood friend Redd Foxx gave her the biggest break when he recommended her for the aunt Esther role.

She made guest appearances on ``Family Matters,'' ``Amen,'' ``227,'' ``Diff'rent Strokes,'' ``Martin'' and ``In Living Color.''

Her movie credits included ``Friday,'' ``Meteor Man,'' ``My Blue Heaven'' and ``CB4.''

On stage, she appeared in Welch's gospel musical, ``Take It to the Lord ... Or Else!''

Page is survived by a daughter.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I really liked Aunt Esther on Sanford and Son. She was such a fine church going woman and every time you saw her she had a bible in her hands. She used to call Fred a heathen and hit him over the head with her pocketbook. I also liked that she traveled with a possee, a group of church ladies who all had the same hair style that she did.

She was my favorite character on the show.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Dutchie...

Apparently only you and I miss her, LOL!

She was a comic genius! AND to go on TV each week and get insulted.

My two favorite insults (courtesy of Fred G. Sanford):

-He tells Esther to hold a piece of plastic in front of her face. Then he tells her it's her Halloween mask.

-He says to Esther, "I'm a stick yo face in some dough and make some gorilla cookies!"

• heathen
    heathen

As the official heathen on the board I have to comment on topic. I thought she was very funny also but uuuuuuuuuggggggggllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

• Funchback
    Funchback

heathen...Yes, she was ugly and she also liked saying your name an awful lot!

"You ol' fish-eyed fool, heathen!"

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

I was going to post this until I searched for it and saw it here. I too remember her appearance in "Friday." As I recall, she asked the "householder" if he was ready for "Jehovah's return." My cousin and I laughed at that one! Where's he been?

Ephanyminitas -- proud heathen

• Funchback
    Funchback

'Friday' is a very funny movie. Lawanda Page was carrying real WTs, too! LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit