INTERVIEW: with an Elder

by TerryWalstrom 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

He lamely responded, "Well, that's different."

That is lame.

It's not like the elders can even determine repentance. They're more concerned with what the other elders think. It's all about appearances.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

It has been said before by someone else, so I cannot take credit for the quote but it is prescient.

"The trouble with JWs is that you have to first explain to them their own beliefs before you can debunk them..."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

He stated, "Nobody will be disfellowshipped if they demonstrate repentance."

Boy is he way off on that, I've known quite a few circumstances where people were repentant but got DFed anyways after a JC meeting. The elders want to punished people openly to show and established their own perceaved power and that is the real issue at hand.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    I think too some repentant people are disfellowshipped purely for the sake of the congregation protecting its image and the image of the organization. For example, if a JW commits a sin that becomes very widespread public knowledge then it is likely that he will be disfellowshipped even if he is genuinely repentant. They do this to try and save face with the public by in effect saying: "this man is not a true JW, his actions do not reflect what we stand for, he has been removed from our group. This is how we deal with wrongdoers - unlike the other churches in christendom who tolerate serious wrongdoers.". So they would put their image above forgiveness when a JW commits a very public sin but is genuinely repentant.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its also done so to establish a presence or creation of a higher power, that is higher in righteous moral values

God is present at all Kingdom Halls, so all who attend must be made aware of his presence. and due judgment.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Walls of Jericho:

Question: "What about Jehovah's Witnesses? Do you accept and celebrate human diversity for 'other sheep', Gentiles, homosexuals, transgenders, thieves, prostitutes, etc?"

that line of reasoning was almost a bait and switch. Jesus accepted these ones and forgave them IF they repented. He never "celebrated" their wrongdoing. JW's will accept these people if they repent and align with their own teachings.

Where does the Bible say that Jesus asked for and had evidence of repentance from anyone?

Jesus was an iconoclast; Jesus broke the rules, he ignored the law and called out the people Jehovah's witnesses would have to say were god's representatives at the time, the priests.

Jesus didn't have a job; he was homeless and dirty, he said your family doesn't matter. (Maybe the thing he has most in common with witnesses.)

It's why JW's don't talk about Jesus much.

They are more footstep followers of Paul, not Jesus.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "I think too some repentant people are disfellowshipped purely for the sake of the congregation protecting its image and the image of the organization."

That very thing happened with a relative of mine. They were surprisingly frank about it, too.

x

Pistoff - "They are more footstep followers of Paul, not Jesus."

Honestly, I think even Paul would go "woah, guys, dail it down a little, huh?"

• 1Averagejoe
    1Averagejoe

He was carrying the NWT but NEVER OPENED IT to read a scripture!

Not even at elders meetings is it opened. When discussing issues even the C. O. Just uses his "bible" elder's manual, lazy elders never even look up the few references cited. It's always letter dated this and that... Who can keep up?

1 Peter 3:15 "always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands the reason for the hope in you." Riiiight. Go to our website for your frequently asked questions.

Bible show at least Jesus "quoted" the scriptures to the pharasees and even to the number one apostate.

Expecting any return visits soon? Perhaps he'll never preach by himself again.

Good post as usual Terry, Thanks!

• Frank and Free
    Frank and Free
    first he had the stick in the hand and finally in the ass
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    what a lying bastard, I would have told him I regularly log onto your website and see nothing about the massive child abuse scandal that continues to be hidden and covered up, even before he got up to leave the responses to your questions were littered with his lies and dishonesty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit