Mormons making movies, how about us?

by truman 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• truman
    truman

This week's "Newsweek", Sept. 23, 2002, has a small article about a current series of movies made by Mormons skewering their culture.

THEY'RE A LAUGH RIOT
    Mormons, known for their seriousness and sobriety, are letting loose on the silver screen with a spate of small-budget comedies. .....two Brigham Young University grads, started the trend with "The Singles Ward", a campy jab at the Mormon singles scene... (a line about divore: "our ancestors were able to handle 4 or 5 wives. You can't even keep one?" The movie-PG for "automotive mayhem"- has spawned 8 other "Mormon comedies." (Eight!) A few are about the perils of the missionary work, and one's about church basketball leagues. All this has prompted Mormon filmmaker N.S. Jones to make a mockumentary about the quest to become the Mormon Spielberg. (think "Spinal Tap" with Mormons) "This market will be really competitive," Jones says. "I'm mocking it before ot gets out of hand." (by Elsie Christianson)

This sounds like an untapped market for JWs. Are there any budding filmmakers out there among us? I bet we could come up with some story lines to rival the Mormons! I think the JW singles scene must be as filmworthy as any other. Think of the possibilities for hilarity, when cameras follow young people in neverending circles around convention arenas (done ala Blair Witch Project, with the shaky camera), in search of their elusive prey. I bet a good film examining what goes on in service cars groups could be a hit.

truman

• heathen
    heathen

I couldn't imagine people being that starved for entertainment.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

"Candid Camera" like takes on young dubs going to the door and how they handle dogs, nude people, tobacco chewers who spit, the hard of hearing, etc.

"The Governing Body: Boxers or Briefs?" Going undercover to get the naked truth.

"The Babes of Bethel:" Cameras take us inside a secret location where we see women Bethelites reading forbidden materials like Reader's Digests, National Enquirers, Field and Stream, etc.

"Theocratic Warfare:" A "Cops"-like show, where Witnesses prepare to move on a street loaded with potential dubs in each house. See them poring over maps, studying the terrain, devising frontal assaults, and planning flanking maneuvers between houses to cut off those fleeing Jehovah's Army.

"Martin Luther," a Jehovah's Witness tells about how he was planted on the Catholic Church decades ago to disrupt the operations of opposers to the Truth, and speculates on similar "moles" within the LDS, Unitarian Universalists, and others.

Edited by - Kingpawn on 21 September 2002 13:9:46

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    I couldn't imagine people being that starved for entertainment.

You obviously have not seen how excitied active JWs are over the new drama on VHS. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit