McClaren F1

by TTBoy 7 Replies latest social physical

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

Not sure if anyone noticed or cares about my screen pic. It's a McClaren F1. This is THE most expensive/amazing car ever made. I saw one going for 1.3 mil used. To my knowledge there are only around 100 made.

This thread will only appeal to those who are interested in exotix sports cars.

The engine was designed by Mercedes Benz. It produces over 600 HP. It can reach speeds of over 225 MPH. Zero to sixty time is......... UNDER 3.0 seconds!

This is the closest anyone will ever get to owning a vehicle that compares to a formula 1 racing car. If you check out "Motor Cars International" they ACTUALLY have one for sale!!!!!!!!! Of corse it's "inquire for price"...go figure since the one i saw was 1.3 mil. The only car that resembles this is the Saleen S7 which is considerably cheaper for only 400k . I loved the top side cowel induction, air forced over the roof is fed into the engine in he rear. I also love the combination of the Diablo's and DeLorens doors, they open up & forward.

I am in the process of selling some land and hope to buy a Diablo in the next year or so. I love the Muercello but I'm not sure i want to dole out the extra 75k for 100 more HP, a 3 stage speed sensitive rear fin (nothing under 70, like 15% incline at over 70, and 35% incline at over 130 MPH). I have a '99 Carrera C4 and this is the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned. Having the engine in the rear is incredible for handling. Suffice to say I could out-run a cop or anyone else, for that matter. Forget the radio they'd have no idea where I went. I also have a 95 CBR 900 so I know what 0-60 in under 3 seconds is, I can't immagine doing that in a car.

Just wanted to post something about the McClaren F1 because it is simply the most amazing car I've ever seen.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Dodge Neons make me moist

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

LOL @ joannadandy!

• musky
    musky

lol@ Joanna, Hey, TTBoy, I wonder if my 4 door saturn sedan could compete with the F1. It has pretty good pickup.

• talley
    talley

LOL LOL LOL @ Joanna

musky, the best thing our '92 4 door Saturn does is behave perfectly while being towed behind our diesel pusher motorhome when we go to NASCAR races. It's a real 'dog', but I love it. My husband hates it and always drives his '80 Citation.

TTBoy, found your post very interesting, but as an avid NASCAR fan am all too farmiliar with what can happen at high speeds without all the safety equipment. I would find myself really frustrated to have all that horsepower, speed, and handling and have nowhere to excersice it. I suppose many pleasureable hours are spent under the hood tinkering and then washing and polishing. How much are the insurance rates for a high performance, exotic sports car? Have you ever thought of renting someplace like Talladega Superspeedway for an afternoon? If you do, let me know...it would be worth an 1100 mile trip (one way) to see you pushing the envelope. Talladega is the place for enclosed course speed records. Formula 1, CART and IRL can't go there because their light suspensions would not be able to take the G force that would be produced it the turns at speed. I would love to see what a high preformance sports car could do there. Stay safe, have fun and enjoy. NASCAR fan talley.

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

OHH WOW push the envelope!! That's what I was born for. Seeing as I got a ticket for doing 130+ on the highway I'm looking for other means to push my car. Is it a road course or a circle track or something like the salt flats? If it tests top speeds I'm guessing circle track.

I did attend an Audi drivers training course in Michigan. I learned that I really had no clue of how to drive my car. Drop me an email and I'll hopefully get my dig cam out of hibernation and drop u some pics from the event in Michigan. That was the first time I did any type of "racing"....it was amazing.

OOps forgot to give you the heads up on the insurance. I pay around 2k a year. I can't believe my Porsche costs only 300 more dollars a year than my Audi TT. I'm insured through Progressive...they said they'll insure ANTHING, though you may not like the price.

TY for your response - Dreams of owning a McClaren F1

Edited by - TTBoy on 20 September 2002 0:20:6

• Farkel
    Farkel

TTBoy,

I've known about the McClaren F1 car for several years. Would you like to see a video of a new, specially prepared and street legal Corvette doing the quarter-mile in 9.98 seconds @ 144 mph? If so, write me. I'll send you the link. It will blow you away.

The McClaren does the same quarter-mile in 11.2 seconds and costs more than $1,200,000 than the Corvette, and the Corvette can easily handle top speeds of 185 mph. Would you pay $1,200,000 more for a car that can go only FORTY MILES more when the car that only costs about $100,000 can ALREADY do 185 mph and get there much faster than the McClaren and you can't go that fast anywhere outside of a race-track and Montana in the USA, anyway?

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 20 September 2002 0:23:26

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

Farkel - thx for the response- I always appreciate your comments. Would I pay 1.2 mil for any car..no (welll maybe for a McClaren F1) I believe the "Motorcars International" F1 is a '94.

Would I pay 100k for a Corvette, HELL no. Had a '94 and I didn't like it. Front engine rear wheel drive is crappy IMO. It may be good for a drag strip or 0-60 times but other than that it's worthless. I howned an '88 Mustang GT and than a '91 Twin Turbo Stealth, then my '94 Corvette. My Carrera 4 cost near 100k. Was it worth it?

To me yes, never drove anything even comparable to it. Sure you'll find many cars faster 0-60 but nothing can compare to the handling at over 100 MPH. I actually had some tard pull up to me me in a late 80's Lexus and say, " my other car would blow yours away.......Buick Grand National!" Well granted, sure, he may beat me in the quarter mile but how can you even compare a car like that to a '99 Carrera C4? His top speed can't be higher than 130? Hell I can hit that in 3rd or 4th gear and I have 6!

Would I be wasting my money if I buy a Diablo or a Murcielago? Maybe. Now were talking anywhere from 225k to 300k. I guess it depends on how much you like cars. For some they're a means from point "A" to point "B" (those people have absolutely no clue and think I'm insane for spending money like that on a car ), others think a car is a status symbol, then there are others who think they are better than you because they have a nice car.

Those are the ones I love pulling up next to. with my MTX powered sub system blaring. If you're at the march on the 27th I'm near a 100% go on attending. Drop me an e-mail I'll take you for a cruze. Just bought new tires/wheels/brakes. I'll send ya a pic too because I know how to attach scaned pics. AND YES I'LL EVEN LET YOU TAKE IT FOR A SPIN! If iI knew someone who had a car like that I'd want to drive it...all I ask is that you KNOW how to drive a stick and don't try to spin the tires because with all wheel drive you'll burn out the clutch. My TTs stereo is technically better but I like my Porsche's. The Porsche has duel 8s compared to duel 12s with twice the amps in the Audi.

Thx again for your post - my e-mail is always open - drop me line if you want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit