Why Child Baptisms Are Invalid Using WT Logic

by JW_Rogue 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

When I was baptized as a child I remember quite well that there were six steps that one must take before getting baptized. I recently looked up some articles on this subject on jw.org and the latest article says there are 9 steps. They now include field service and going to the meetings as steps. Which is odd the biblical account of the Ethiopian eunuch never mentions that he did any of those things before his baptism. That is a side point I found interesting.

The real point is that many of these steps cannot reasonably be made by a child.

1. Come To Accurate Knowledge Of The Truth. While a child can easily learn the answers to many questions in a rote fashion this is not accurate knowledge. Before baptism all candidates are asked the same questions from the Organized book. It fairly easy to memorize answers to questions that you receive in advance. True accurate knowledge would require not only reading the entire bible but understanding the historical context of each book. Outside research would need to be utilized to verify facts and analyze doctrinal conclusions. Most children aren't capable of this. I would venture to guess that most children who are baptized have not even read the entire bible on their own.
    2. Repent From Their Former Sinful Course. This one is pretty obvious, they are kids, they don't have a previous sinful course. I can imagine it now "God I'm truly sorry that I stole that toy from my brother". Get real, children have no significant sins for which to repent and turn around.
    3. Make A Dedication To God In Prayer. Can a child make a dedication to God in prayer? Sure, but will he understand what such a dedication truly means. I doubt it very highly. Will a child understand that even though his prayer is a dedication to God that his baptism is something else entirely?
    4. Baptism. Does a child understand the life long implications of being baptized, "In the name of the father, the son and God's spirit directed organization"? Children have not fully developed and can't understand how their feelings may change over time. In many instances the reality of how certain things work in the organization are unclear to them. If they have not passed puberty it will be hard for them to understand the impact getting baptized will have on future relationships and courting. Their thinking is often clouded by desire to please their family and be a good child.

For these reasons I believe child baptisms made before the age of maturity (whatever that is for each country) are invalid and it is cruel to hold someone hostage to a choice made so early and often for the wrong reasons.

• The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10
    I just go by the WTS' logic that they say getting baptized is the most important decision one can make. If it is the most important, getting married is most likely a close second, if a kid isn't old enough to contemplate marriage seriously, how can they be ready for baptism?
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Using their logic on birthdays (they're evil because people died in both biblical accounts of birthdays) no one should be baptized at any age below 30 because that's the only known age of someone that was baptized.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    If it is the most important, getting married is most likely a close second, if a kid isn't old enough to contemplate marriage seriously, how can they be ready for baptism?

No, you've got it all wrong getting Married is no big deal but getting a driver's license is a very important decision.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    No, you've got it all wrong getting Married is no big deal but getting a driver's license is a very important decision.

If they'd let kids wait until they were 16, it would be a vast improvement. Most of the baptisms that I've seen lately have been well under that age, some as young as 7. It seems that 16 is being put forth as the MAXIMUM age that a child should reach before getting baptized.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I think 18 is a good minimum age maybe even 21 if they truly believe it's the truth their mind won't be changed by a few years. I've never known anyone 7 years old being baptized but have seen a 9 year old and I don't think they really understand what is going on. I was a preteen and I didn't get it. lol
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Keeping in mind that Jesus waited until he was 30 before he got baptized one has to wonder at all of the teen baptisms that take place in the JW world. Only to see so many be DF

Here's the reason:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

neuroscientist, Sandra Aamodt. is the coauthor of the book, "Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College."

"The car rental companies got to it first, but neuroscientists have caught up and brain scans show clearly that the brain is not fully finished developing until about age 25.

So the changes that happen between 18 and 25 are a continuation of the process that starts around puberty, and 18 year olds are about halfway through that process. Their prefrontal cortex is not yet fully developed. That's the part of the brain that helps you to inhibit impulses and to plan and organize your behavior to reach a goal.

And the other part of the brain that is different in adolescence is that the brain's reward system becomes highly active right around the time of puberty and then gradually goes back to an adult level, which it reaches around age 25 and that makes adolescents and young adults more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations.

one of the side effects of these changes in the reward system is that adolescents and young adults become much more sensitive to peer pressure than they were earlier or will be as adults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit