Forced Disassociations?

by Pathofthorns 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

An experience came my way recently that a "brother" that had not been involved for some time with the religion admitted to smoking when elders came visiting and questioning. Failing to attend any judicial committees or show any interest in this matter, the brother was announced as having "disassociated himself" without any notice or explanation on the part of the elders 6 months after having confessed. He never stated that he wished to be disassociated and only expected to be disfellowshipped.

Does anyone have any explanation as to why in this instance it was announced as a disassociation instead of a disfellowshipping? Obviously the Society could broaden the forced disassociation policy to include any sin and not just joining the military or accepting blood. Or perhaps failing to show up for a judicial committee is considered an act of disassociation?

Anyone with comments on this?

Path

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

New light changes with the speed of light Path. I was once disassociated as a teenager, yet I wasn't even baptised, I wasn't even a publisher. It was announced at the kingdom hall that I was to be disassociated and should be treated as a DF person. Some years later, new light arrived, and instead of disassociating unbaptised ones grown up in the truth, they would make an announcement that so'n'so is no longer a publisher of the good news. Damn Idiots!

Beck

• Angharad
    Angharad

Doesnt surprise me,

Simon was disassociated for failing to meet with them - this was after a three hour meeting with 6 elders. Go figure that one out!

We werent sure for a while if it was announced, but heard a few months ago from someone that had recently left that it was. She was completely shocked when I told her what had happened as like everyone else, when they announced a da'ing people assume that you have written a letter.

Edited by - angharad on 17 September 2002 7:54:53

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    We werent sure for a while if it was announced, but heard a few months ago from someone that had recently left that it was. She was completely shocked when I told her what had happened as like everyone else, when they announced a da'ing people assume that you have written a letter.

That sounds like our experience too, Angharad. I can't imagine the Borgites would feel sorry for the misrepresentation.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Amazing
    Amazing

I was forcible Disassociated. The Elders never met with me, but I believe that in my case they feared legal action, and so chose to make it appear that I took the action to leave the religion. Perhaps in the case you mention, there is more to the story than what has been said, and the Elders, fearing some legal response, decided to use the DA avenue to be safe.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

It ties in well with the 'Baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit' thing, that you recognize that you are one of Jerhover's Witnesses in association with the Spirit Annointed org, etc.

The thinking is that you agreed to follow the slave when you got dunked, and therefore you are disassociated by default if you go against the slave. You've broken the contract.

I think this will become more and more common. JT had some interesting comments about this on another thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=34903&site=3&page=2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit