Discussion with The Elders

by BluesBrother 8 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I spent a couple of hours yesterday going over things with a couple of elders, which was decent of them to give me a Saturday afternoon

They wanted to refer to the Watchtower article to find points of agreement and common gound. There were some of course since I still believe in God, Creation and The Bible (at least any doubts I had I was not ready to share at this time)

During the conversation it just became apparrent to me the chasm that existed between us . Their whole thinking was from within the blinkers that a) The Org is obviously right so anything it says has to be believed, and b) Whatever seems "Hard to understand" will soon become clear in Gods due time when he reveals more light.

Even the slaughter of bllions at Armageddon is to seen as Gods wisdom and love to mankind.What sort of persons might those children have grown up to be? another Hitler or Bin Laden ? Leave such decisions to God. They say.

Nothing was resolved. I had secretly hoped they might even take offence at me . I had thinly disguised my use of these websites in the hope they get the point but if they did so, it did not show.

The worrying thing is that a part of me felt drawn towards it again. The sense of purpose, belonging to a group, and having a feeling of special insight and possessing knowledge that the world in general does know - are all powerful pulls especially when it would make family life a lot easier.

But I cannot unlearn what I now know. The flaws in their doctrine, the failed prophecies., and the shenanigans that they have got up to with U N . I could hardly tell others to follow an org. that I knew to be wrong on so many points.

Writing this out has helped me see things again in perspective. I dont expect many submissions under a thread - but it has done me good!

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

>"Nothing was resolved. I had secretly hoped they might even take offence at me . I had thinly disguised my use of these websites in the hope they get the point but

if they did so, it did not show ."

A problem with meeting more than one elder or person is that they are not able to show interest or sympathy with your position, even if they genuinely agree with it. They too must fear the reaction of the other person (s) present.

A one on one meetings is best if you hope to elicit an honest response.

• link
    link

B.B. Thanks for:

"I could hardly tell others to follow an org. that I knew to be wrong on so many points"

Thats the biggie for me. As long as you still have belief in God how can you go out and tell what you know to be untrue to other people? What sort of God would insist that you did that?

Don't worry how many post on your thread - look at the number of views. A lot of people will know where you're comming from on this, even if they can't add much. (like me!)

• minimus
    minimus

BB, what you feel about being drawn into the Witness mindset again is so revealing.You know what they say isn't correct, yet you still have a desire to be around them. Should you be chastised and condemned for your feelings? NO. This is how countless may feel that are still actively associated with the "truth".

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

There was an elder and his wife whom I was as close to as blood relatives. Named my kids after them in fact. After I disassociated 7 years ago, they both became as wolves to me, turning on me in an astonishingly fierce way...and I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. Last year these people who have always been tight with my kids, and whom I have never kept from them, sent presents to the kids the last week in November. We already had our Xmas tree up and the kids decided to put the presents under the tree because it looked so bare. So...a week later this elder calls. Starts in right away with the "elder tone of voice" we all are familiar with...working me. He's like "What did you do with the presents D?" "Did you put the presents under the tree D?" " You know we dont celebrate Xmas D"...kept on and on like that using my name in this condescending shaming voice like he was talking to a little kid. Hes like "You never DID believe what we believe! You never WERE a Jehovahs Witness! You never STOPPED believing in pagan holidays! You dont even BELIEVE in God DOOOOOO you D?" on and on..I finally said...Look if you have something to say, say it to the kids because Ive had enough of this crap from you. I wrote them both a letter and told them in NO uncertain terms that what I believe is NONE OF THEIR DAMN BUSINESS nor was it any of their damn business when I WAS a JW and if they ever EVER express their "opinions" about me like he just did...again..to ANYONE...I will cut them off from my children like a gangrenous toe...and to make NO mistake about it...and that he and his Elder Voice could KISS MY ASS!

It felt SOOO GOOD. They have NO POWER OVER US

• ISP
    ISP

Its not easy....leaving the WTS. There is a lot to get over. But at the end of the day..what would you prefer? Truth or make believe?

ISP

• Knotty_boy
    Knotty_boy

Bookstudy...... or Will and Grace???

• ugg
    ugg

i so understand.....it is so tough...you will be ok,,,every one cares.

• Francois
    Francois

You're sooooooooo right. You can't be walked on unless you lie down first.

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit