Belief and enjoying life

by Introspection 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi everyone. I was thinking it must seem kind of strange for someone to hear me say belief is useless and to think less, that will likely mark me as nuts by both stereotypical camps so I thought I explain a bit.

First of all, let me say that as far as I'm concerned there is no reason to think that generally, belief, religious or otherwise can't be an honest attempt at describing reality. However, that's the whole crux of the matter - I think it's important to distinguish between reality and one's description and model of it. As accurate as some models may be it can never replace the real thing, certainly not when it's merely concepts in your head.

If you believe the bible, you would agree that creation reveals the glory of God. Well, in Judeo-Christian language that's all about appreciating God's work isn't it? However, I think there is a serious danger of looking at the descriptions, even worshipping them, rather than the real thing. Look at it this way: You have this line of God creating.. well everything, and then humans being part of that creates beliefs. Even if you believe it's a revelation you have to acknowledge that the information gets passed through the filter that is the human mind, and in that process it would certainly get filtered a bit wouldn't it? And what are you doing worshipping a thought in your head anyways? What makes any of us better than the rest of God's creation? So I say enjoy the gift of life, that is what is actually closer to the source in this sequence of things. Don't even think too much about what I'm saying here, but just enjoy the abundant life that's around you and IS you. What objections can there be to that, and what better way can there be to get in touch with the sacred?

• Valis
    Valis
    What objections can there be to that, and what better way can there be to get in touch with the sacred?

Intro, no objections from the "steroetypical" camp and I can't see any reason why those who believe in Dog would disagree either, except IMO the belief in Dog by some is taken to an extreme where nothing but salvation is sacred and for the most part, everything else on the planet could go to the wayside. What this leads to is not only a miopic view of all creation and egoism that will not afford one the luxury of enjoying all the things, people, cultures, and experiences therein that are to be had. I do agree w/you, that overthinking can lead to a not so casual wreck in the way that all percieve there surroundings and the way that one goes about living life for today. Thanks for the interesting post.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Robdar
    Robdar

Introspection, I am so glad that you have posted about this subject. In the past, I was always worried about my purpose in life, who I am and am I doing the right thing. Then one night it hit me. My purpose in life is to enjoy my life. Isn't this what the creator would like us to do? If s/he didn't, why would s/he have given us life to begin with? All this time I was complicating my life when the answer was so simple and right under my nose. You wouldn't believe how much easier life has been since then. It seems almost as if all the pieces of the puzzle have fallen in to place. Now that I am no longer mentally blocked, almost everyday it seems that something fun and interesting comes along. I worry less. I am meeting new and wonderful people and having experiences that I could only dream about before. And, believe it or not, even money seems to come more easily. There is something to this enjoy your life idea. I hope everybody realizes its value and gives it a try. Thank you for posting this thread. Love, Robyn

• mamashel
    mamashel

Enjoying life seems hard for some, but if they could just learn how, including my self, because i am still alittle uptight sometimes, we would all be better for it.'

I will take one day at a time and keep learning that the simple things in life are what make you happy.

thanks for the post

mamashel

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Mamashel,

I would just say that even being uptight is a part of life, so while it may sound silly I say just be totally uptight, that is to say let yourself be as you are even if it is being uptight. I find that when you do that, it's not as big of a deal anymore and you can move on to other experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit