Selective Compassion

by MYOHNSEPH 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

I dont know how many of you have listened to the audio of Mike Spence interviewing J.R. Brown on the Societys policies related to child molesters, but its worth a listen. I was particularly fascinated with Browns comments about allowing someone, who may have previously been convicted of child molestation, to later hold a position of responsibility in the congregation. As an example of how this might happen, he presented a hypothetical case in which a boy of sixteen has sex with a girl of fourteen, with her consent. Brown says that in some states the girl would be considered a child and the boy an adult and, hence, the boy could be convicted as a child molester. Three years later, in this hypothetical case, this same boy and girl get married, to each other. Twenty years later they are still married, have several children and are leading a clean and moral life as JWs. Brown poses the question: Should this man, twenty-three years after his sexual involvement with a minor, be considered a predatory pedophile? He makes a reasonable argument that this man should not, at this time, be viewed as such and that the door shouldnt be closed too tightly here, with regard to his being considered for a position of responsibility in the congregation. What a sensible and compassionate view of the situation!

I cant help but wonder though, suppose this same couple had been disfellowshipped for their act of fornication. Suppose they did eventually get married, have children and twenty years later were still happily married, living clean moral lives, BUT, they had never seen the need to try to get reinstated in the congregation and no longer even considered themselves as JWs. Do you think the Society would take such a sensible and compassionate view of this situation? I think not! As has been recently reinforced in Our Kingdom Ministry, this man and woman would still be viewed as unclean, outcasts, undeserving of so much as a simple greeting from anyone in the congregation, including family members! In this case, the door is closed pretty tightly!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Quite so!

And this same couple have lived a respectable and responsible life, raising a family, taking their responsibilities toward the community. Yet they would be shunned by the few Dubs in the community. Each time they went to the supermarket, they might get 'the treatment'.

Sick, isn't it?

Ozzie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    As an example of how this might happen, he presented a hypothetical case in which a boy of sixteen has sex with a girl of fourteen, with her consent.

Speak about 'not going beyond the things written', at least by the Watchtower! This illustration has been making the rounds at the elders KM schools for the past few years. As is obvious, it is very far removed from the typical child-abuse that are regularly prosecuted.

At an elders meeting this illustration surfaced yet again. I asked how many elders had heard of a case of a sixteen year old boy being sued by a fourteen year old girl for child abuse. Not one person raised their hand. I then asked how many had heard of a women accusing her father of child abuse , as you might guess everybody raised their hand.

This illustration is designed to try to defuse and emotionally divert criticism of WTS policy by its PR department, but it bears little resemblance to the realty of the child-abuse situation.

As for J.R.Brown, well as I have said before, this man is as slippery as Sadam Hussein's hair, and is not in reality the quiet and mild figure that he presents himself to the worlds press. He is a politician who is seldom without his own personal agenda.

HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 14 September 2002 11:12:17

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    as slippery as Sadam Hussein's hair

Surely not Brylcreem, eh?

At least we can still smile, H.S.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit