JW`s and Cottages

by Beans 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beans
    Beans

So how many of you have or had Cottages as Dubs? Now do any of you recall any families having them in your hall?

Now if so did these families retreat to these locations during the summer months?

If so were you or them asked if they were going to the local CONG and going in field service at the Cottage?

Beans

Canadian Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That's right, you're not from Texas

Texas wants you anyhow

I only remember the word "cottage" from when I was jist kneehigh to a grasshopper and being read my Mother Goose Saves the Ranch story book.

Are you talking about something akin to an extended dear lease?

• Beans
    Beans

6:

I want Texas too! Perhaps I should also say Garden House for the Europeans and Weekend House, The Hamptons etc...............

The Canadian Overbeer is possibly coming to an Apostfest near you!

Beans

• gumby
    gumby

You lost me on this one.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi Beans,

Well, I know what you are talking about, but here in Alberta, a cottage is usually referred to as a cabin, even if it is a fully loaded 3000 sq ft house.

Cottage=cabin= weekend or summer getaway home usually in a rural location such as a lake. Intent is recreation and rest, reality is money pit and one more yard and house to take care of.

We have a small, rustic cabin at a local lake, but I am not JW, so I can't answer your question, although I don't know of any properties owned by JW families on our lake.....lots of church camps, though. From what I have heard some JWs may own recreational property (cabins in the woods, or places to camp) towards the Rocky Mountains, where there is a fairly active group of JWs in the very small communities along the highway heading west.

• stichione
    stichione

To my knowledge, only one Dub family had a cottage in my circuit. Generally, owning a cottage was not considered Christian since you would retreat there on weekends, which meant not going in door-to-door service and possibly missing the Sunday meeting. We generally judged harshly any who owned such property.

Edited by - stichione on 14 September 2002 16:5:57

• Parousia
    Parousia

I decided my first post should be on something non-controversial. Although I have enjoyed reading with great interest those that are. I must get my feet wet sometime so here goes ....

Yes, I knew a sister who inherited a cottage. So it wasn't her fault! I was, err, lucky enough to be invited there for a weekend once when I was about twelve. Make no mistake, that sister didn't use that cottage for anything pagan. No sir. She made sure we didn't over-recreate. As I recall, I reported more hours of service that weekend than I ever had before. I managed to find reasons to turn down future invitations. It was more fun than a kid could handle I guess....

• CFree
    CFree

My family in the UK didn't own a cottage but would frequently rent one for our family holidays. Sometimes these were based around the conventions so we got to go to the convention slap bang in the middle of our holiday (great - I don't think!).

If we were holidaying as family on our own chances are we didn't attend any meeting (I think secretly we were all pleased to have a break from them). If we were with another JW family tho we would usually end up at least going to the Sunday meeting (mainly just to say we'd done it when we got back).

When I think of it now it all seems so pathetic - if we'd all done what we really wanted to do we wouldn't have been going to the meetings whilst on holiday! My mum and dad are probably still doing the same thing to this day!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    That's right, you're not from Texas

Texas wants you anyhow

I LOVE Lyle Lovett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that song is great!

-LisaBObeesa

• Nanoprobe
    Nanoprobe

I'm with Six on this one (same state)........I thought this was going to be a discussion about types of architecture

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit