That’s What Happens When You Leave the Truth.

by John Aquila 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

It never failed, when someone got disfellowshipped or left the organization, their life became shambles. If married, a divorce ensued. If the person had a great job, the company would lay-off or close. If the person was healthy, they would get cancer or a serious ailment.

And you could see it with your own eyes, so you would crawl back into the cave.

But things are changing. This week I ran into a sister that I hadn’t seen for about 25-28 years. She was a pioneer who made just one mistake-- with this brother who convinced her to have sex and she felt so guilty that she went to the body of elders and confessed that same night. They formed a committee that same night and she got disfellowshipped. She worked hard to get reinstated. It took her close to 3 years of writing letters, sitting in the back of the hall, and putting up with everyone ignoring her.

Finally she got reinstated but it was never the same. The friends treated her with contempt and would limit their association with her because she gave in to sex.

She met this young man who was not a JW and started dating him. Immediately when the sisters found out, they reported her and she was counseled and was reproved and put on restriction. (Just for dating a non-jw)

I could tell she was totally depressed. Then she disappeared. Stopped coming to the hall, changed her phone number and moved to a new address. A few years later we heard she got married to this young Non-JW. Some of the Elders would say; OOOh is she going to pay for leaving the truth. We’ll get her when she comes back crawling.

Well I saw her at the store this week. Visiting for the holiday. About 25-28 years have passed. It’s still freaks me out what some 25 years can do to a person. She was a young (20+) year old girl when I last saw her, and now she is a (50) year old lady. It turns out that the young man she married went on to become a doctor, she has 4 children the oldest one in his 20s and almost done with College. She lives in an area that the JWs don’t like to work in the door to door because of its affluence. When they do knock on her door she sees them on her monitor and won’t give them the time of the day.

She did say something interesting. She said, “That when they walk away, she wonders about them. How can they be so blind and not see that they are being manipulated. I can understand young people being manipulated, but adults!!!”

I was real curious so I asked her straight out if she knew TTATT?

She replied, “What’s that”

I started explaining and she had no idea of 607 BC, no idea of the lawsuits, no idea of all the new light, she knows zilts, nada, nothing of the Watchtower.

She’s been busy raising her kids, traveling with her husband to Africa, China, Japan, and other places just for vacation. She does a lot of interesting things with her friends, many who are wives of other doctors, lawyers, and entrepreneurs.

While she is telling me this, I am beginning to see that I have missed out on a lot in life. I was really trapped like a slave and didn’t realized that great possibilities were taken away from us when we become one of Jehovah’ Witness. It’s not just about wasting your time in the door to door, conventions, etc. It’s about stealing your identity, stealing your potential, stealing people that could have been good friends of yours that would stick to you through thick or thin. Friends that would add and not take away from your happiness.

Finally she tells me, “You know, I really don’t care to know anything about the Watchtower. I don’t care if they are a cult, I don’t care if they are the true religion, I just don’t care to know anything about them. I have a great life, I have a great husband, I have great kids, and I don’t care to know anything or want anything from those people. And I’ve already warned my kids about the WT and they promised me they would stay far away from them.

You don’t have to know TTATT to leave the organization. If you happen to make a good life for yourself, nothing else will matter. I think that’s the key.

The only bad thing about this experience is that I can’t relate it to all those JWs that made her life miserable. They are still thinking;

That’s What Happens When You Leave the Truth.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Living well is the best revenge.

When you say she doesn't know TTATT, I would have to disagree. She might not know that term and all of the doctrinal problems with this religion, but she certainly knew that she didn't want to be part of it simply because of the way she was mistreated.

That's enough.

Good for her.

• jerryminor
    jerryminor
    It's funny you brought this up earlier in a similar post about what decisions you'd have made if not a jw. That girl had a similar experience as me except I made no attempt to be reinstated. I assumed it was some kind of cult but didn't know of any research, I was still afraid for years to look at apostate material but that was still enough for me never to look back. I got busy with living life but I think a little part of me insisted on having a career in the public eye so I could be a constant beacon to expose the lie that a persons life would crumble if leaving the org. I saw nothing but the opposite. I have started looking back recently though as its lingering effects became clear to me. nothing too serious, nothing like when I was a jw, but coming to terms with the way I was raised has also done a world of good for me.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    jerryminor

a little part of me insisted on having a career in the public eye so I could be a constant beacon to expose the lie that a persons life would crumble if leaving the org. I saw nothing but the opposite

I'm beginning to see that it is important that when a person leaves the WT, that person needs to get busy and starts building up a good life. Not only is it good for that person to heal but it might help others see the ridiculousness of pursuing goals like pioneering, Bethel, Circuit Overseer, Missionary.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Disfellowshipping for many is the beginning of "the getting of wisdom."

It hurts like hell at the time and ironically it's during the drawn out reinstatement time that starts the process of seeing it exactly for what it is - cruel and unnecessary.

I do wonder at times if the same kind of absolute closure is possible when you fade slowly.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Excellent read by Faith Abraham, "Better things are coming". She was told she

will always be a failure. Faith Abraham the Odyssey..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

John Aquila:

That is a great success story about an ex-sister who married a non-JW and has a wonderful life now! The idea that she put up with so much abuse just to be reinstated -and then disrespected - is beyond me!

I am glad she is well-off. Let the jealous JWs eat their hearts out!! Good for her not to give them the time of day!

The reason the religion tells horror stories about people who leave the Witnesses is to discourage those who want to exit! It is a defeat for them when people flee the religion.

The religion must know there are many who want out....They would rather see old maids sitting in the hall being targeted to do favors for all the users instead of having a real life outside the JWs.

Good for this lady and whoever else gets out of there!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JA: I'm beginning to see that it is important that when a person leaves the WT, that person needs to get busy and starts building up a good life. Not only is it good for that person to heal but it might help others see the ridiculousness of pursuing goals like pioneering, Bethel, Circuit Overseer, Missionary.

Exactly!

As I said before, living well is the best revenge.

• myway2007
    myway2007
    Yes they want you to believe that is what happens when you leave the truth. It makes you freeze and wait for the other shoe to drop. It may or may not. That is life and things happen. That's why they coined the term bad things happen to good people. Life happens move on
  • Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Some of the Elders would say; OOOh is she going to pay for leaving the truth. We’ll get her when she comes back crawling.

Wow, that's just so nasty and hateful. No doubt wishing and hoping for that to happen, with smugness and glee. Such awful behavior from "elders", men we were supposed to respect and look up to. Pffft!

Wonderful story, so glad she stuck it to them by doing so well. My story's pretty much the same. Not as well off, but quite well-traveled, successful and very happy, thank you very much

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit