Elders vs. Clergy? Lacking

by patio34 8 Replies latest social current

• patio34
    patio34

Since I'm not a religious person anymore, this is not a thread advocating clergy people. But simply a comparison between most clergy and JW elders. Usually JWs have made it a positive that elders are not like clergy. However, in their authoritarianism, it seems they are. But in the following ways they're not and it's a negative comparison for the elders.

The pivotal difference is being paid clergy and unpaid elders.

It progresses to a difference between professionals and volunteers.

A definition of professional that applies to this discussion is: engaged in for pay, not an amateur. Secondary to this is an occupation usually requiring advanced study and specialized training. (The JWs would say the two-week elder course would be advanced study. You be the judge of that.)

Two ways of saying paid clergy or clergy who have the expenses met so they can devote their time to their profession. Same as doctors, lawyers, or any other profession: they are compensated so they can spend their time to do their jobs.

Volunteers, however, and for this discussion I mean elders of Jehovahs Witnesses, do not have their expenses cared for nor anything else. So, realistically how much of their time can be used for further education, counseling, and caring for people, which is their job or profession?

A volunteer must hustle to meet all the needs of his own personal life and family. As everyone who does this knows, it pretty much takes all your high-energy time. What's left over is usually for relaxation.

But not with elders, who need to work full-time usually, spend time with their families, try to do the reading for the WT dictates, etc., etc. No wonder they botch stuff up and seem usually unavailable.

On the other hand, a professional, paid clergyman or priest, one would suppose, has received much training in many fields and has the time available to do his job without having to hustle to work at a full time job to support himself. At the very least, they're required to have a college education and a degree in divinity, right?

One elder I knew made the statement that they are not drug and alcohol counselors. This was an understatement. They don't have qualifications to be counselors of any kind. The basis for their claim is, of course, the Bible. They assert that by knowing that, it qualifies them to assume the position of clergy. But the actual experience is that it does not. And by JR Brown's infamous statement of their being untrained volunteers, there is further evidence of my point.

If you had a raging fire, would you prefer a professionally trained and full-time firefighter, or an unpaid volunteer? If you had a child molestation, would the government send in an untrained, unpaid volunteer or a paid professional? If you have need of a psychologist, do you want a slightly trained volunteer or a paid professional? And so on.

The Bible's law of two witnesses has been shown up to be woefully inadequate for the child-molestation issues. Because that law was written long before modern techniques of crime solving. The same as the laws on blood. It's the same as the Bibles criteria for elders, Its outdated and plainly doesnt work.

Soooo, what do you think? I'll be at work all day and unable to check this thread, but will return later. Enjoy your day!

Pat

Edited by - Patio34 on 11 September 2002 9:52:42

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Pat,

I've known some clergymen who were previously JW elders. What 'qualified' them for their present office? It certainly wasn't their Borg training!

So, what was it? A scholarly training, as well as a heart devoted to God.

I compare this with my observations of thousands of JW elders, and ask "What qualified them?" In large part, it was the performance of organisational works, such as hours spent in the public preaching, and diligence in caring for ministerial servant duties. That was about it! Not exactly inspiring, is it?

May I add a note about a paid clergy which the WTS is forever re-hashing in very superior tones. I can comment about my home state, New South Wales, and am able to confirm that a paid clergy is a misnomer, at least in Watchtower terminology. All clergy I've met have received a stipend that is not much more than what a dub would expect to receive in full-time service. That may sound an exaggeration, but ALL clergy I've met have had wives who've had secular paid jobs or businesses which have supported the families. It's a fallacy to state that the clergy being paid are somehow inferior to the JW elders. Quite the opposite is the case! Further, considering the clergy are properly educated in what they are preaching, who would you choose to listen to?

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 11 September 2002 10:10:18

• metatron
    metatron

Witnesses don't have a paid clergy? Another Watchtower lie!

Circuit Overseers may receive a small stipend from the Society. They get the circuit
    to pay for a new car (in the U.S.). They get health and car insurance paid for by the
    circuit. Individual congregations pay for their expenses after each visit.
    They also receive (OFTEN UNTAXED) personal contributions from brothers - who frequently
    want to be appointed as elders - or who want assembly parts.

Further, in court cases where the Society is on the defensive, both elders and circuit
    overseers will be claimed as clergy - because the Watchtower wants them to have
    'clerical privilege' - so they can't be required to testify about child molesters.

metatron

• JT
    JT

yes the famous views expressed by JR -

--- and yes wt does pay it;s folks the only difference is in wt you have to move up to the Rank of CO before the org takes care of you once you reach the level of CO DO, Bethelites you are taken care by the org

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

You know, I never thought of it that way before. When I was a JW, I used to repeat that line about volunteers vs. paid clergy, as if it were a good thing. But I didn't even stop to think about how COs, DOs, and Bethelites had their living expenses taken care of for them.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Ozzie, Metatron, JT, and Wolfgirl.

I just love this form of communication! It makes me think and the conversations are very stimulating.

When you consider the "all-expenses covered" arrangement of COs, DOs, and Bethelites, it certainly is a paid position. By covering room, board, etc. that's comparable to a hefty salary. Not to mention the perqs. What gall they have to bluster about unpaid volunteers!!

Pat

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

They didn't call us Elders back then, but I was appointed a "Bible Study Servant" in 1960 at age seventeen. What were my qualifications? Well, I was baptized and wore pants! And I was one of only three active male members of the congregation. That helped a lot. Me and a buddy, who was eighteen at the time, had moved there to "serve where the need was great". He got to be "Assistant Congregation Servant", a little higher position than me, because he had had a bible study with someone one time and I hadn't. But it was great! We got to be on judicial commitees and everything!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Glad you enjoyed it!!

• waiting
    waiting
    On the other hand, a professional, paid clergyman or priest, one would suppose, has received much training in many fields and has the time available to do his job without having to hustle to work at a full time job to support himself. At the very least, they're required to have a college education and a degree in divinity, right? - pattio

The idea of a *professional, paid clergyman or priest" is a wiiiiiiide open area. Some do have a college education. Some are quite trained in counseling - but even that is open for debate....what *kind* of counseling? Some have absolutely no training at all...but have a " calling from God." I would suggest that an evangelizer has much training in sales, legal & illegal.

Indeed, the average jw has indoctrinated to believe that his elders have the best training in the world. And two weeks a year is about it. Some of them are fine men, but alsas, that doesn't mean they are trained in the areas of counseling their people need. "Untrained Volunteers" is what JR Brown (WT spokesman) called elders - and he was painfully correct.

There's a large Pentacostal Church down the street from us. The pastor is a good welder.......and he's built himself quite a nice church (and I've heard he makes good money with it too.) But he's as untrained to counsel as any elder I've ever met.

waiting ---- good topic, thanks, Pat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit