Music as a coping tool for 9/11

by Mimilly 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

We were all glued to some form of communication be it the radio, the phone, the tv, cds. Sometimes the talking about it just wasn't enough to express what we felt. I know I personally turned to music. Not only for the emotional release, but also for a temporary escape.

What songs helped you? There was a thread started earlier about Alan Jackson's 'Where were you'. That thread inspired the idea for this thread.

The songs I still listen to are:

Overcome by Live There are two versions. One has actual voice clips from that day with President Bush making his statement at the end. It's quite heart wrenching. (if you want to dl it, it's Overcome WTC version) The other version is the studio version. The music is tremendously beautiful and there is a 'crying out for help' in the singer's voice. On that day - I think it's safe to say that ALL of us were overcome.

The other one is Utopia by Alanis Morissette which I find easier to listen to now that time has past.

But on 9/11, I will listen to the WTC version of Overcome. I don't want to forget. I want to honor all those families who lost loved ones. All the everyday heros who worked themselves no doubt into nightmares. And I do not want to become complacent and take things for granted. I also have designed a patch for my jeans and jean coat. It has a flag at half-mast with 9/11 and a broken heart on it. The flag is plain. And I will wear my USA/Canadian pin. Many ppl here have the dual flags in their windows.

So add your songs and why they are special to you, how they helped you etc.

Mimilly of the We will not forget class

Edited by - Mimilly on 9 September 2002 13:25:11

Edited by - Mimilly on 9 September 2002 14:34:22

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Here in New York, I took the day off and sang Mozart's "Requiem" with the Juilliard Choral Union. Singing great works like that, in a time like this, helps me find peace. I lost no one in the 9/11 tragedy, but I was there, 5 blocks away, when it happened.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Although it's hard to get through it without tears, I like Rogers and Hammerstein's:

You'll Never Walk Alone

When you walk through a storm, Hold your head up high, And don't be afraid of the dark, At the end of the storm, Is a golden sky, And the sweet silver song of a lark, Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain, Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, Walk on, Walk on, With hope in your heart, And you'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone.

Edited by - Double Edge on 13 September 2002 16:20:21

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I listen to "La Bamba" by Los Lobos when I need a music pick-me-up. Sounds corny I know, but that song gives me great joy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit