Things That Make You Go Hhmmm. . .Samson

by dark clouds 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

For a long time i have thought about Yahweh, and the kind of deity that he was. Leader, savior, protector of the Israelites, quick to strike down anyone who dared oppose him. His compassion seemed to be masked beneath his jealous nature, but he had his reason and it was for "spiritual cleanliness".

For somewhat years, i accepted this reasoning, for it seemed to make sense, and after leaving the borg, i never really questioned it anymore. I was satisfied being out and didnot feel the need to look into it. There were issues more prevailant at hand, like deprogramming and starting a social life. Not to say that i was not curious, just preoccupied with my state.
    Eight years have elapsed and i am a very happy man, simply for being able to think and question, and for learning that there are many angles to a view. Perspective is akin to truth and when all sides are incorporated you gain a very clear panorama.

In the last year or so i returned to the bible, not as a relapse but because i wanted to see what it was that i had been reading growing up. Compare it to going back to the scene of an accident, after having survived and walking.

In my readings i have come across some very fascinating observations that which up until recently, i had no one to share or discuss with. Simon, you are indeed a god send for there now exists a place to voice and vent, thank you. Thank you for creating the opportunity and the place to allow for all of our voices to be heard, by a panel of biblically educated and open-minded readers.

On that note, this, is the first of a series of posts titled:

"Things That Make You Go Hhmmm"

It seems that Israel was in the doghouse yet again at the time of Samson's birth . This time it was the Philistines who had them at their mercy for 40 years (v1). He was born to a woman that was barren and his birth was announced by an angel. His birth would allow the deliverance of Israel from the Philistines (v2-5). Upon her husbands requestful prayer the angel returned to answer questions. A sacrifice was made and Samson was born shortly after. Taken from Judges(C.13).

In the next chapter, it begins right in the midst of his adult hood. As he goes through Timnah he meets a Philistine woman, whom he "sees" and wants to marry (C 14 v1-5). Preparations take place and a costumary banquet follows. At this dinner Samson proposes a riddle and attaches a wager to increase the interest in solving it. It seems that through some caniving they learn the answer and Samson is forced to pay. So this servant of god goes to Ashkelon as to kill 30 men to pay his debt. The scripture reads "the spirit of the Lord came upon him. . .where he killed 30 of their men" (v.10-19). When he returns home his wife is married to his best man (v. 20).

It appears that Samson leaves and returns some months later, only to have his father-in-law decline his visit. Her dad instead offers her younger sister to him (C.15 v.1,2). Samson flares and responds by tying torches to the tails of 300 foxes, and letting them run through the vineyards, orchards, and grain storage (v. 3-5). Of course this causes contraversy and the death of 1000 Philistines when they atempt to capture Samson (6-17). God does not seem upset by this bloodshed and goes on to split a rock for Samson, allowing him to drink from, upon his demand, and to boot he rewards him by allowing him to be a judge for 20 years(v18-20).

Chapter 16 begins with him visiting a harlot and leaving before morning(v. 1-3). Imediately afterwards he meets and falls in love with Delilah, it seems their affair goes on a while for 3 times he lies to her as to the secret of his strength. When he finally agrees he is betrayed and his eyes are gouged (v. 4-22). The Philistines gather to praise their god Dagon, for allowing Samson to be subdued. They bring him out to mock him and the temple comes crashing down, once Samson prays to god for the strength to avenge himself (v. 23-31).

WTF? Let me be honest, when i decided to pick on Samson i did it to see what exactly his relationship was to Delilah. I honestly wanted to know IF and WHY he was having sex outside of marriage, when it is so frowned upon today, and the reason i picked him, was because he was specifically chosen by god to lead Israel out of the myre.

My observations:
    1. the first first focus of his adult life is his going to a foreign land for sex and marriage, in that order.
    2. he enjoys wagers
    3. god does not seem to have a problem with his waging
    4. god even gives him the strength to kill to pay off his debt
    5. his wife had a second lover
    6. Samson is quick to lose his temper
    7. he slaughters animals needlessly
    8. he killed 1000 men inspite the fact he had provoked their anger
    9. god rewards him with water and a political seat
    10. samson frequented hookers all though he was married
    11. he had a mistress named delilah
    12. whom he lied to
    13. he was allowed to avenge himself

What ive learned with Samson is that:
    IT IS OK TO IGNORE THE COMMANDMENTS AND LAWS TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS
    Sex is fine as long as you plan to marry the person, sex is also fine if you pay for it, regardless of your marital status, and sex is definitely acceptable in an adulterous relationship.
    Gambling which leads to the loss of innocent lives is perfecly acceptable and reasonable and at times rewarded.
    The torture and abuse of small animals is also acceptble.
    It is ok to lie if you have a secret you need to keep.
    Although god says that vengeance is his alone, ask him for a freebie and hell throw you a bone.

I am aware i have made a mockery of this tale only to prove ambivalence through hyperbole. I would love comments and reasons for such justifiable actions if you will. . . glad to have my sight back
    CHUCK

• Moridin
    Moridin

Great post!! I like the conclusions you came to. I too have been wanting to do this for quite some time just haven't had the time yet. I look forward to your future posts on this subject.

• unanswered
    unanswered

dark clouds-we were talking about this yesterday, so i reread the account. not quite the picture that the "my book of bible stories" portrays. not quite a "kids" story at all. the more i read it, the more samson sounded just like another jock. really thought the animal wasting was interesting-those foxes didn't make out to well. thanks for posting this interesting/thought provoking topic.-nate

• joelbear
    joelbear

Sounds amazingly like Greek Myth to me.

hugs

Joel

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Samson and I went to public school together. once he bet Mickey O'Malley, one of the other boys, that he couldn't stand on his head for 20 minutes. When Mickey did it, samson tied jack knives to the tails of 90 mice and let them loose in the cafeteria. He showed us all.

• conflicted
    conflicted

GREAT post, I am inspired. I have spent the past 11 years actively and deliberatly avoiding the Bible - I haven't cracked one open since I left. I think I'll give it another try. I like a good fantasy as much as the next guy. I think I'll start with David and Goliath (those Philistines just dont know when to quit).

I look forward to further posts in this series.

• JanH
    JanH

Hi Dark Clouds,

It's a fascinating story indeed, and one it is fun to watch JWs pr fundies squirm trying to explain or make sense of.

It seems to come from a time or region which didn't frown upon sexuality so much. I'm convinced it was a very popular story predating the Yahweh-worshipping days. When Yahweh worship united with the cults for El and outcompeted Ba'al and other fertility deities, anything related to sexuality -- the domain of fertility worship -- was banned from Palestine religion.

When JWs give talks or notes about these sections in the Bible, they are expected to come up with a "lesson for us today". What would the lesson be for the story about Samson and Dalilah?

Well, how about "sleep with the girl, but never let her cut your hair."

(less family friendly versions exist )

I live by that principle!

- Jan

• patio34
    patio34

In the last couple of months the New York Times ran an article "Samson, A Personality Disorder with Muscles." But, at that time I didn't want to read conflicting things with the borg. Now I'll try to retrieve it.

Another thing you can add to the h-m-m-m list: how did the Pharoah chase Moses & Company with all those horses pulling the chariots if part of the plagues had destroyed all the animals of Egypt? (Ex. chap 9)

It sure is all different when you're not "under the influence" of the borg.

Patio

• waiting
    waiting

The common answer to all the *hmmmmmms* is:

"Well, that was the Hebrew Scriptures. We live primarily by the Greek Scriptures." What the jw's don't add is that the WTBTS will put us under Hebrew Law when they feel like it (women & rape) but shuffle from the likes of Sampson.

And the other famous saying: "Isn't it remarkable that when I have a question, I wait on Jehovah, and within a couple of months an article will appear on that very subject in the Watchtower or Awake!"

Never thought about the horses and Moses, though.

Thanks, patio.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit