September 11

by ScoobySnax 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Its almost a year now since the horrific attacks on the WTC, everytime I see those news clips of planes smashing in to the trade centre towers I feel sick to my stomach. To see innocent people jumping from windows to certain death and the courage of police firefighters and innocent people caught up in this horror truly humbles me as a JW. Its a terrible world we live in, and though my beliefs about the solution to this differ from most on this board, I sure you like me will take a few minutes out this Wednesday 11 to remember so many good people who lost their lives, and those that gave theirs, unselfishly trying to help others. This also extends to many innocents who suffer under regimes such as those of Iraqs and other countries. May Jehovah remember them all, as I'm sure he will.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Scooby:

I appreciate your post - it is nice to hear from a JW who appreciates the sacrifices made and lives lost - I found your comments very refreshing.

I was so frustrated with my JW family last year - as they spoke about the Sept. 11th all they talked about were the witnesses that lost lives - or the witnesses that seen it from the Bethel buildings, or the witnesses who (on and on and on) - only when I reminded them of the non-witness individuals such as firemen, policemen, and other victims who risked their lives to save others, and those innocent ones that died simply for showing up for work - only then did they throw me a "oh yea - it's terrible - but that's the time we're living in, this is Satan's world" yadda yadda yadda.

My family plans to remember those by flying our flag all week - and lighting candles on our street on the 11th.

However - I do find a two positive things from the tragedy:

(1) We, as a nation, came together in support of one another. I had NEVER seen such compassion and commitment from people here before.

(2) Our nation has become much more aware of God. Prayer vigils were quite common after the tragedy and are advertised all over as an upcoming rememberance. There is a new respect for those who seek a relationship with God.

Scooby - thanks again for your post - hope you keep posting here.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Scooby,

If there is indeed a Jehovah and he is concerned about mankind, he certainly has an incredibly impassive way of showing it.

On the moring of September 11, 2001, I had just come out of the subway when a man passing me in the street told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.

My daughter worked in the World Trade Center. I felt so helpful. So vulnerable. I didn't really know what to do.

I went to my office and turned on the news and what I heard make my flesh crawl. I felt an overwelming urge to vomit.

To make a long story short, my daughter survived. She ran from her office with no bag, no money, nothing. But the good and kind people of New York helped me and she survived.

For this I am forever grateful.

• Dawn
  • Flip
    Flip
    Its a terrible world we live in ...

With an expressed attitude like your's, I suggest you remain one of Jehovah's Bystanders for as long as you possibly can and stay out of the way of those actually trying to do something worthwhile for their community.

Edited by - Flip on 9 September 2002 1:36:35

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Why do you say that Flip??? I think as a nurse in the NHS I do quite alot for others, even as a "Jehovahs Bystander" regardless of their faith or beliefs. People like you puzzle me, but your entitled to your opinion I suppose.

• ISP
    ISP

Welcome to the board, scooby. Where abouts in the UK are ya?

ISP

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Hi ISP.....thanx for the reply. I'm in Kent........BOOO!! Scott

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit