Witness as a Good Neighbour

by ozziepost 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The April issue of 'Kingdom Ministry' contains advice on what to do when you get new neighbours.

Witnesses are told to identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses. Suggestions on how to go about this are given.

1. Call on them in field service.

2. "When you...see them working in their yard. Approach them with a warm smile. Endeavour to speak about your beliefs, the location of the Kingdom Hall.... and let them know whoever else from the neighbourhood attends."

3. "Neighbourly conduct....may open the way to give a witness."

The article concludes by stating that "Displaying concern for those outside the Christian congregation demonstrates love for your neighbours".

Enough said?

Ozzie

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I see the struggle between the "old school" and the "new school" is alive and well.

On one hand we're encouraged to appear to be "normal" by the new PR type guys, while at the same time we're told to make asses of ourselves and try to preach to our neigbours.

With advice like this, it's clear these people haven't lived in the real world for a very long time.

Path

• Prisca
    Prisca
    With advice like this, it's clear these people haven't lived in the real world for a very long time.

I think of this everytime I ride the crowded bus to work each morning.

How these guys can imagine the average person who has to get up at 6.30-7am to catch the bus or train in time, or drive in peak hour traffic, work in a stressful job for 8 hours with people that don't live like the rest of JWs do, then catch another crowded bus/train/road home, grab a bite, feed/bathe/clothe the kids if you have any, and then try to get to the meeting before 7.25pm!

Then do this twice a week, plus the Sunday meeting, and witnessing on weekends, plus studying for the meeting, plus preparation for any talks you may have to give ......

And try to look after the house, shop for food, clean the car, keep up with friends, family, ...

Phew! Makes me tired just thinking about it!!

• doubtingsister
    doubtingsister

Hi Prisca,

Whew is right! That's what made me finally say "ENOUGH".

I listened at a service meeting about how we need to be at all meetings, study for the meetings, personal bible study, study with the kids, service, assemblies, etc. and keep house clean, go to work and be always striving to do more. I realized then and there that this load is not light and the yoke is not kindly and that I'll never, ever live up to all they want from us. That's when I came home from the meeting and started looking for ex-jw sites since I had avoided them in the past.

Thanks to Jehovah I found this one.

• larc
    larc

Ozzie,

I wonder if the people who write this stuff are totaly deviod of common sense and social skills. The first thing to do is to get to know your neighbor. Help them move in. Bake them an apple pie or do something else to help them out. Being friendly and then to start preaching is not a good idea.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Prisca,

Yes, they cannot relate to the 'real world' even though the Bethelites say they try.

I suppose most people would think that you were taking advantage of the situation (i.e. newly moved in) by immediately going in preaching, don't you?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Sorry larc,

I'm getting old, should have addressed to you, not Prisca. Sorry Prisca.

Ozzie

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

I remember when my X left me. I was alone, and had a daughter to care for. Went to work. (3 jobs) and had no help from the org., but the elders sure did pummel me with questions when I didn't make it to meetings. Single parents need a lot of help. And so do their children. I was very outspoken with the elders. Poor guys didn't know what to do. The kind of work I do means I have to wear work boots, hard hat and carry a lot of heavy stuff. I work in a mans world and love every minute of it. No man will give me a lot of crap about a womans place until they have lived as I do. The elders just ger very confused about what to do with me. So they just leave me alone. I am not a man hater, but I think I deserve the same respect they do. I am thankful every day for the man I love. I do look forward to the wedding.
    Keep a positive attitude and don't let anyone walk on you ladies. I thank Jah everyday for the man in your life that gives you understanding and respect.

RC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit