DRESS TO IMPRESS?

by bay64me 9 Replies latest jw friends

• bay64me
    bay64me

Most years, my old congregation would get asked for volunteers to clean and garden our assembly hall.

As you all well may have observed, at such occasions at your hall, all the youngsters would use this oppertunity to show the opposite sex, just what they looked like in their 'civvys' (leisure-wear) !

I knew one sister that used to make her own clothes and would make this, sort of Andy-Pandy suit. She would use some sort of candy-striped bed linen-sort-of-material, usually pastel coloured and make a kind of all-in-one romper-cum-knicker-bocker-pedal-pusher-number? ! ? !

I reckon she thought she looked good?

Did you have someone like this in your congregation?

• mann377
    mann377

Yea we had the same fashion show. It's really neat when you blow leaves and grass all over them and they scream and chase you all around. not that it ever happened to me! ha ha

• bay64me
    bay64me

Or you would get those people that would just walk around all day and pretend to be looking for a spare spade or something!

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Oh yes!! I remember this one "sister" who would do all her own sewing and she came up with the most awful gawdy meeting wear! She had two daughters and a son. I felt soooo sorry for those girls...they were always sporting their mother's newest inventions and creations....stripes, checkers,gingham,polys, and sometimes some metalic wear and sometimes all in one...ugh!!!!

• Swan
    Swan

I remember how fun it was to watch the fashion show at d'strict convention. Some young women would dress to the nines! It was interesting to see what they thought they could get away with. I always referred to them as shoppers.

Tammy

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

The funniest thing I remember about those Saturday afternoon clean ups is this brother who wore (no kidding) a toupee. That was his "style", sometimes it was on straight......LOL
    This afternoon it was windy, hot as the desert can get, it was about quiting time and he was under a tree raking up some leaves when a big gust of wind blew them all over the yard, he did a knee jerk reaction and started chasing them with the rake not realizing he had caught his ahhhh "hair" on a branch! It was about 5 minutes before everyone could quit laughing and tell him his hair was hanging on the tree branch.

bc laughing hystricly as I'm typing this......ah the memories! Thanks!

• TR
    TR

Nothing like seeing the HOT 20 something sis's standing around in their tight jeans and tank tops. Oh My God. I had to turn around and go in the hall to hide the wood I was sporting. Of course that was back when I couldn't control my wood sporting.

TR

• SYN
    SYN

Sporting wood? LOL! Sounds athletic!

Our Hall had a strip of grass about the size a parked car, so two or three dedicated Brothers trying to "reach out" were normally enough, but if there were more than two they had to be careful not to bump into each other...

• razorMind
    razorMind

During some of the very last DC's I would attend, I remember the young guys changing clothes after the conventions so that they could, theoretically, "help clean the assembly hall."

What it really amounted to was, seeing who could parade the latest Polo, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, F.U.B.U., etc. and look the most "fly".

In my day, (late '80's-early '90's) some of the teen girls equated "really stylish" with "let-me-throw-on-a-prom-dress-and-look-hotter-than-any-other-chick-and-pick-me-up-a-REAL-HOT-YOUNG-BROTHER!!!" Yup, metallic evening gowns at the district conventions.

Sadly, I think we all know what 80's prom dresses looked like.

• little witch
    little witch

I went to a very small congregation, and many were very poor. I know alot of the our congregations mothers were encouraged to make clothes instead of buying them, so more could be contibuted to the borg.

There were a few girls who's mom's made them homemade panties. No lie. And they wore them to school. In gym class, they were teased awful. That stigma stuck, and they eventually had to move away to find a mate. Most of them are no longer JW's, and that's good, but I wish they would have had an easier exit..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit