How far should we let our love go?

by bigboi 5 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Jesus said in John 13:35 that "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves." How far should we let this mindset affect our dealings with people no mattter who they are or what they do? You're honest opinions please.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the other point he made was more important:
    (paraphrasing) What good thing is if if you show love for each other? Don't the people of the nations do the same? Show love for your neighbour.
    This is what the WTS seems to miss. There is debate on whether there is love even among each other but it's clear they do not show any love for any non-JWs (and especially ex-JWs).

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bigboi, this is a very thought-provoking topic!

Several scriptures came to mind (you know, that old JW training kicks in every so often). Paul wrote "As far as it DEPENDS on you, be peaceable with all men." So when you said "no matter what they do", sometimes no amount of love can possibly change the situation for the better. (I don't know if you had a specific example in mind.)

Expanding on Simon's quote of Jesus, Jesus said to love our enemies, even to pray for them! Our love must be perfect like that of our heavenly Father's. Easier said than done, but we must try!

1 Corinthians 13:8 -- "Love NEVER fails." So it's always worth a try. Of course, it must be balanced by understanding and discernment. It doesn't mean we must bend to every whim or imposition people make, but instead lovingly consider what may be best for the person in a given situation. Even Jehovah says "no" a lot. He doesn't treat us like spoiled kids!

So I guess the answer boils down to two words...Copy Jesus.

Gopher

Edited by - Gopher on 23 March 2001 4:16:21

• somebody
    somebody

Hi there,

Good question.

Jesus said in John 13:35 that "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."

my opinion is to follow the golden rule, to treat others as you would want to be treated. I also find it interesting that if your read that scripture ( John 13:35 ) in other Bibles, it doesn't say to have love among "yourselves". It says to love "one another". The JWs think that "yourselves" means to love other JWs only. meaning that the society teaches that people will see how much love they show among "themselves", and want to join the club. The Bible was written WAY BEFORE Russell ever came along and started his doo-doo. There are also different kinds of love, as you know. I just try to "hate" anyone, period.

peace,
    somebody

• bigboi
    bigboi

Thanks for your thoughts. I learned a lot. Esepecially from somebody bringing out the fact that other translations use the phrase love one another and not the subtle love among yourselves (good point). I sort of asked the question to see what people really thought about this scripture and not simply what they were taught about it.

thanks ppl,

bigboi

• somebody
    somebody

bigboi,

I just try to "hate" anyone, period.

doh!!....I meant to say that I try NOT to hate anyone! Really, that's what I meant to say!

peace,
    somebody

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit