Candace Conti Settles

by Nitty-Gritty 204 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

Hot topic on Topix seems to be Candace Conti settlement. But it's all quiet here. Are you guys aware that your hero, who was not in it for the money but to change policies, settled without changing anything?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Actually it just happens that you are a bit late. We did talk about it here and we congratulated her for her efforts. She did more for the cause than anyone else. Don't be so early to judge (unless you are a JW). No one knows if settling is part of the strategy. If it is not and she is done with it, good for her. She is not alone, others are coming to build up on what she did. Its called team work.
  • Nitty-Gritty
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    You do realize that she won right? It was the WTS that appealed to the CA Supreme Court, not Conti. So the lower court decision that the WTS was responsible for failing to provide supervision during a church sponsored activity (field service) is a legal precedent. Given that, I' m willing to wager that they will soon change procedures on what activities those who are child molesters can participate in because if they don't they are exposed to further litigation.
  • Tazemanian-devil
    Tazemanian-devil

"Your hero".

You mean the victim of a heinous crime is being grossly under compensated for the physical, emotional, and spiritual damage done to a young child leaving indelible scars?

But guess what, you say she had no effect, however you're talking about it...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hot topic on Topix seems to be Candace Conti settlement. But it's all quiet here. Are you guys aware that your hero, who was not in it for the money but to change policies, settled without changing anything?.....Nitty-Gritty

It`s unlikely anyone will ever change an Organization as Corrupt as the WBT$..BUT..

Candace did an Unbelievably Good Job "Exposing Corruption In The Watchtower".

..................................Once Again..

WatchTower Apologists Can Put On Their Special Hat..

.........................................And..

...................SIT IN THEIR SPECIAL CORNER!

.....................Image result for dunce cap..........................Image result for Ha ha

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Looks like she is done with it.

Actually, it looks like Watchtower is done with it. Watchtower has said there is no unfavorable court ruling they wouldn't appeal. Watchtower had started an appeal in this case but for some reason did an about face. I have a feeling the appeals attorneys that Watchtower was using knew they weren't going to win and convinced Watchtower to end it.

I would love to know more about the facts and the terms Watchtower finally agreed to, but considering the organization's determination to never let settlements be known publicly I doubt we will ever know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What puzzles me is how does an already convicted pedophile go without being charged again for this offense.

In normal circumstances a re offend usually results in a longer and more severe penalty than the first offense.

Catholic priests have been charged after 20 or more years after the fact.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    I'd wait and see for changes. I doubt you'll see them broadcast in the WT - they're more likely to be tucked away in letters to elders. Regardless of that, Candace's bravery in speaking out and fighting this has helped place the WBTS under intense scrutiny even here in Britain. And she's also set a precedent for others who have been through similar things to take action.
  • Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

This poster on Topix summed the whole case up perfectly. I quote:

"The plaintiffs settled before the California Supreme Court had a chance to look at it. The settled amount would have most assuredly have been less than 2.8 million. That was the number they would have had to pay worst case scenario had their appeal failed.

I believe the plaintiffs capitulated because it was likely that the Supreme Court would have reversed the negligence portion of the judgment (had the supreme court reviewed the case). The plaintiffs built a case on the premise of a sinister "policy of secrecy". Therefore the WT spent most of their resources defending against that premise.(The appeals court affirmed that the policy of confidentially was reasonable and inline with most organizations).

Had the lower court ruled properly about the so-called "policy of secrecy" then the WT could have spent most of their resources defending themselves against the negligence portion of the lawsuit. Namely did the WT ever assign Kendrick to work alone with Candace in field service. And that is the ONLY thing the jury should have decided instead of a policy that the plaintiffs grossly misrepresented.

Also the experts mistakenly told the jury that the elders were mandated reporters. That was not true and unjustly prejudiced the defendants".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit