Blood

by scooter 8 Replies latest jw friends

• scooter
    scooter

If JWs aren't allowed to take in blood (let alone have a transfusion) why did Jesus command us to drink HIS blood?

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

The bible doesn't say that Jesus commanded his people to 'drink his blood', he commanded his people to observe an emblem (wine) that signified his blood, and that the remnant of the 144000 were to take a snort for whatever vague reasons the bible gives. Can't pass heavens gates without being legally drunk or something. I dunno.

• scooter
    scooter

TBS,

Why Would Jesus (for heaven's sake) command us to DRINK his blood if it was forbidden to take in blood???

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Wasn't this question just answered?

How could anyone literally drink Jesus' blood? He then showed them that they were to drink the wine as a symbol of his blood.

Hey I agree the WT's policy on blood is total BS, but theres really no basis for your argument with Jesus' statement here.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The ritual of drinking the blood and eating the flesh of your God is an ancient pagan ritual, adopted by early Christian fathers, and attributed retroactively to the fictional Jesus composite.

There, that oughta whip up the Christians a little.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Scooter,
    Your question is very legitimate and deserves an answer. The logical contradiction between a culture which abhored blood in its meat to the point of creating a host of rules for its disposal and then a teacher/leader from this culture like Jesus creating a ritual which symbolicly has his followers eating blood and human flesh on a regular basis should give us a reasonable skeptical pause. It would be like Jerry Falwell creating a ritual for his followers which symbolicly has them perform anal sex with a carrot and a loaf of bread. It would be antithetical to everything Falwell's Southern Baptist culture stands for and would be very bizzare to say the least.

I think the blood/wine ritual is a late addition to Christianity from another culture where blood did not have the same meaning as it did to the Jews. If there ever were a real Jesus he certainly would have been sickened by the thought of drinking blood even "symbolicaly" so I believe this explaination makes more sense. There never was a "pure" biblical Christian religion as so much of the Christian culture is non jewish and extra biblical due to the great number of Gentiles which followed this cult.

I see some one else posted with a similar thought while I was writing this.

Edited by - Liberty on 5 September 2002 16:42:4

Edited by - Liberty on 5 September 2002 16:53:15

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed
    Why Would Jesus (for heaven's sake) command us to DRINK his blood

I'm not sure how he would pull it off really, as humans on average only have 6-7 litres of blood in them. I'm sure 2000 years and a measly few litres of blood are a tad too long to stretch out the blood drinking command party you speak of, unless Jesus made his own personal bloodbank from the wine he made from water, and stockpiled it in barrels somewhere in 'very very bad man' land.

• Solace
    Solace

You tell em' Scoot!

Im getting real tired of all this "no blood" B.S. My family has dealt with this issue too many times. My grandfather is dead and my uncle was just about to join him until he recently caved in and accepted plasma. He's been inactive for years but was still reluctant to go through it.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

That's certainly a legitimate question.

Jesus said plainly that His blood was to be taken in, and also said that the blood of others was not to be taken in (see OT). Live only His life, not someone elses - even another sheep.

The same Lord told us both.

If someone doesn't believe it, they can always let people die for their knowing and 'holy cause'. Maybe while they're at it they should also visit the farms and unmuzzle those oxen that are treading out the grain.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 5 September 2002 18:7:43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit