What Would You Say?????

by Tish 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Tish
    Tish

I have an elderly sister, who drops of the mags to my business address, and has no idea I am an Ex Jay Dubb. What subject would you bring up with her to show the Jay Dubbs have been misleading her, without making her suspicious as to my real ID?

Tish

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Hey Tish,

Well, you can show her that with practically every subject. How about someting that is in the recent mags she has given you? That way she is happy that you show interest, but you can also make her think about one of your "questions".

Hugs, Viv

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

One of the methods which apparently works is not to talk about the church the person is actually involved in but to talk about the faults with another church which is a cult. Say, when I was trying to point out the certain evils of AMWAY to a couple of Amwayites, I never mentioned Amway, I just talked about the JWs and what a rotten cult it was. The parallels were there for them to absorb and think upon in their own time. Same whgen we were working on Mormons, we talked about the dubs all the time then too. But regardless of this, You cant save them till THEY are ready. Just give them things to think upon. If you can do this , spoonfeeding over a long time, you will be amazed at the effect that will build up. be patient.

The most important thing, if you DO talk about the dubs, is not to be drawn into angry debate. Anger will only make them reinforce their loyalty, defensively. Getting into a heated arguement is fatal to your intent. As soon as you get the vaguest hint that theyve heard enough criticism back off till the next opportunity. It may be weeks or months later, Then feed them a bit more. Over time, the effect will build up.

Thats about as much advice as I can give you.

Edited by - refiners fire on 4 September 2002 6:27:46

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

If you can agree with them on a specific key doctrinal issue, say, with Adventists, if you appear to accept their sabbath doctrine and say that you recognize that it is a divine truth, you can then get away with quite a lot of criticism after that. But this is a bit deceptive. Still, it does work and I suppose it depends whether you feel that misleading them is in their best interests. (The same logic the cult uses).

When you are dealing with people in cults always be aware of when you are being manipulated. You will know when this is, you will FEEL like you are being manipulated. Easy to spot. Whether youre feeling Guilt tripped. pressured. Fear mongered. Confused.Embarrassed... Whatever method it is they are using to alter your thinking. The best thing to do then is....point it out to them! Say "Hey! I feel like you just tried to make me feel guilty then! Did you try to make me feel guity?". This always stops them dead in their tracks. Its the last thing they expect anyone to say ( all cult recruitment relies on "proper" social behaviour on the part of the recruit) and sometimes they will admit that, yes! they did try to guilt manipulate you and they will profusely apologize. After that, they will be very cautious of applying cult psychological pressure terchniques on you.They dont apply these techniques deliberately by the way, its just part of the whole culty behaviour thing.

Edited by - refiners fire on 4 September 2002 6:42:57

Edited by - refiners fire on 4 September 2002 6:47:35

Edited by - refiners fire on 4 September 2002 6:57:17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit