Campbell Biology - An Awesome Textbook!

by cognisonance 2 Replies latest jw friends

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

I just finished a general biology course at my university (covering cellular/molecular biology, function, and structure). Also, received an A+ too! :)

Our textbook was Campbell Biology. I will say that this biology text unequivocally is one of the best textbooks I've ever read (well, 300+ pages of the 1200+ page text anyway). Anyone not in the position to take a college class but wants to learn more about biology, the 9th edition of the book can be had on eBay for about $35 (sometimes less, I got mine for $18). It's full of great illustrations and high quality photographs.

Compared to what JWs "teach" you about biology, like on the topic of the cell, dna, and thermodynamics, this book is a delight. It also integrates well how evolution relates to each and every topic in biology. As Theodosius Dobzhansky says, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution."

I wish I could buy a copy and give it all my JW family members. But I doubt they'd be inclined to even let me give it to them, let alone read it.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree. I was first exposed to it about six or seven years ago. I have several editions. I think my latest is the 7th or 8th. I actually determined a few weeks ago that I was going to read the whole thing cover to cover. I've only read about 300 pages.

I've read several university biology textbooks cover to cover, and Campbell is by far the best. The others don't compare.

I hope future editions are as good. I say that because I believe Campbell died and the project is being carried on by colleagues.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

I wasn't aware Campbell died. That's too bad. The 10th edition (2013) is the most current, but my professor said the 9th (2011) would be sufficient.

By the way, I find it very time consuming reading this book with all the diagrams to look at and compare, the questions to think about after each section [usually these are interesting critical thinking questions, though I'll admit to skipping many of them]. I averaged about 6 minutes per page, which is about 85 WPM for this text. I'm not the fastest reader anyway, but normally read at about 200-250 WPM. For me I was reading this text not to merely memorize for the exams, but rather to learn. I found the material so well presented and interesting that it was almost as fun as binge watching Netflix.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit