Jonathan, the Disobedient Son

by jgnat 0 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Is it proper obedience to Jehovah to humbly follow your anointed leader without question? Is initiative and bravery rewarded, when you run ahead of your anointed leadership? Did Jehovah bless Jonathan, even in his disobedience?

• King Saul was an anointed leader of Israel
  • (1 Samuel 10:1, 6, 9, 25 11:15)

• King Saul goes ahead of the man of God, and loses Jehovahs favour
  • (1 Samuel 13:13,14)
  • Jonathan goes ahead of his father and goes after the Philistines on his own initiative
  • (1 Samuel 14:1)
  • Jonathan disobeys his father again by eating in the heat of battle
  • (1 Samuel 14:27-30)
  • King Saul makes an oath to punish the one who disobeyed
  • (1 Samuel 14:39)

And Saul said to Jonathan, Tell me what thou hast done. And Jonathan told him and said, With the end of the staff which is in my hand I tasted a little honey , and behold, I must die! And Saul said, God do so to me and more also; thou shalt certainly die, Jonathan. And the people said to Saul, Shall Jonathan die, who has wrought this great salvation in Israel? Far be it! as Jehovah liveth, there shall not a hair of his head fall to the ground; for he has wrought with God this day. So the people delivered Jonathan, that he died not. (1 Samuel 14:43-45, Darby)

Saul was fully prepared to kill his son in his disobedience, as he had made a solemn oath before Jehovah. Who saved Jonathan?

(I prepared this little study as a counterpoint to the WT October 1 article, "Jehovah Blesses and Protects Those Who are Obedient" The article provides a one-sided argument for total obedience, and promises disastrous results for those who disobey. "..if we stay close to God (read WTS) and respond swiftly to his Word and organization (emphasis mine) we can be assured of his protective care.")

Net buddies: do you have some other bible examples where disobedience was the correct course? David's flight to the wilderness comes to mind. David did not want to stick around to have Saul cut his head off.

Edited by - jgnat on 3 September 2002 9:47:55

Edited by - jgnat on 3 September 2002 9:52:12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit