Congs Where Dubs Don't Go Door To Door..

by ISP 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Yep there are such places. The entire congregation does not go out door to door as such. I know of such places in Spain where there are congs made up of english speaking dubs who don't go out in the typical ministry. They 'witness' to english holiday makers. I know several dubs who have moved or are moving to Spain for an easier life.

Nearer to home there are plenty of dubs who are learning foreign languages and attending specific foreign language congregations. Here, also dubs escape the '9-5' mundane existence of dub life. They do selected doors on maps. one brother said to me that he often goes out looking for people he thinks will speak his language. Getting his hours in is not a problem!

Many are looking for a niche to escape into. Why not? The GB did it years ago.

ISP

• Matty
    Matty

Many of my friends in London are now fluent Albanian speakers. Getting these poor people in the truth is much like shooting fish in a barrel, in fact they are pretty much responsible for the increase there, as English people have been leaving in droves.

The foreign language field is extrordinary now. For instance, about 10 years ago there was only 1 French language congregation in London, now there's a French language CIRCUIT!

Edited for poor spelling!

Edited by - matty on 1 September 2002 6:14:40

• ISP
    ISP

Yup Matty!

Its a good life..or better life for a dub. You get some credit for learning a foreign language and then you get the inside route..

Hey hope to see ya soon mate. Will be sorting the NW Apostothing very soon.....very soon indeed.....definitely in your lifetime.. Nah it will be soon!

ISP

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Brilliant - where do I sign up ;-)

No ministry as such, plus I'll fake ME and then have no real work to do because of low energy, plus I'll get State Benefit. Hmmm..... I'll spend my *well hours* helping the elderly in the congregation, having spiritual chats and cake.

Quite like the sound of that lifestyle.

Bye!

• Matty
    Matty

You got it Dizzy, that's the way!

Cool ISP! I understand that some of our buddies are meeting up today, unfortunately I missed that thread, but I wouldn't have been able to go anyway as I need to plan my excuses with a bit of notice!

Anyway, in case anyone is confused as to why there are so many French over here it's mainly because of (1) Bethel staff moving over to Mill Hill from France (they will be returning soon) and (2) Assylum seekers and other immigrants from French speaking African countries like Mali and Rwanda and Congo etc...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mornin', Matty,

Did you know there are congregations in London now that are entirely Russian speaking?

OK, everyone can understand Glasnost now, after Mikhails revolution, but do the WT really want Perestroika?

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Will the "wall" be coming down?

• Matty
    Matty

Hi Eman!

Yes, new non-English congregations are being formed so regularly, I really can't keep up with it. Don't you think that if you are in a strange country, and have escaped from poverty and or oppression, you are more vulnerable to cults like the Jehovah's Witnesses? They are always so warm and friendly, not like the racist thugs in the estate they put me in, and wow, they've taken the time to learn my language, so they must be worth listening to!

• Scully
    Scully

I went "in service" (if you could even call it that) with someone I knew from an Arabic congregation. The Service Arrangement(TM) was much the same as any other, except that it was conducted in Arabic. Everyone stated their plan for the morning, oddly enough it was not lists of Not Homes(TM). Each couple/car group had ONE call to make.

I was confused until we arrived to the call. It was, apparently, a Return Visit(TM). The four of us piled out of the car and converged upon the door. The Householder(TM) opens the door and, as is the custom of this particular culture, invites the group inside. Pleasantries are exchanged. Children in the home are hugged. The lady of the house serves coffee and LOTS of sweets. Cake, baklava, candied almonds, chocolates. To decline, I have been warned in advanced, is highly insulting to the hostess, so indulge we must, for the sake of the Good News(TM). The scripture from Paul about becoming like those around us was quoted as justification of this form of Theocratic War Strategy(TM).

The visit continues with pleasantries and off-topic conversation, topping up of the coffee cups, passing around of the assorted offerings, and when the supplies of sweets are dwindling, more are brought out from the kitchen. Near the end of the two-hour visit, the 'leader' of the group presents the host and his family with the latest magazines. We spend a few more minutes saying good-bye with hugs and air-kisses on both cheeks exchanged by everyone.

On the way home, everyone kept saying what a wonderful morning they had in service. I asked if this is how service is like all the time. "Yes," they tell me, "isn't it like this for the English brothers and sisters??"

I told them about going door-to-door in sub-freezing blizzards (and having to wear a skirt and nylons while doing so) for hours at a time and finding nobody at home. They had never done anything like that. It must be because the Arabic people are so hospitable compared to other Canadians. Yeah, right, that's gotta be it.

I guess they took pity on me because they invited me to go with them again, any time I wanted. Funny thing was that I never did again, because their way of doing Field Service(TM) felt like "cheating" compared to the way I was taught to do it. Possibly one of the dumbest choices I ever made as a JW.

Love, Scully

• La Capra
    La Capra

I don't think they go out very much where I live, Suburbia Royale, here in California. The only call I got was in early September, before the terrorist attack, just after I moved in. A late teen "golden boy" and his old-maid big sister (23 or 24, no wedding or even engagement ring yet-how sad).

I did not get a scripture or a "spiritual" thought at all, I got to talk to the young man about abused women-as that was the offer that week. He had no information for me how his religious organization concretely helped these women in need. I asked if his congregation would give an abused member sanctuary, hiding her from her abusive husband if necessary. His answer was "I am sure it would." Old maid sister coughed. I asked if his religion had battered women shelters that they ran for women who needed it-like Catholic Charities did- And not just their members. His answer was "I am sure we do" His old-maid sister coughed again.

I assured him that I would read both magazines and that I hoped to see them soon to answer any questions I had, as I had never taken their magazines at the door before (honest to god truth). I haven't seen them since. I didn't even get a post 9/11 call offering hope and goodwill. I spend a lot of time at home and in my front yard on weekend mornings. I have not seen a group come through my neighborhood since that day.

And this youth abandoned a wonderful return visit who would have taken all his books, magazines, bibles and possibly even let him start a "study" with me. Bummer, because with his limited knowledge of how the organiztion DOES NOTHING in the way of humanitarian aid, I probabaly could have sent him to the elders with all kinds of questions to get answered that would have chipped away at his faith.

Or his sister took me for what I was, a serious opposer, explained to the boy that there was no such thing as witness sponsored battered women's shelters and that there was no way the congregation would hide a woman from her husband-ever....then she probably explained to him that I likely knew this. And he had pretty much lied to me when he answered me, and worse I already knew he was lying or had no clue when he answered.

I felt bad for a little while messing with him then I remembered, hey I'm a high school teacher, it's my job to mess with teenagers-make them question what they accept, challenge what they believe and open their eyes to different ideas, cultures, philosophies and people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit