Why using Jehovah for God's name is as good as using Yahweh

by oppostate 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Yes after that I will start one about the existence of spider man.

Then I'm gonna squabble with other atheists about it

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Oppostate,

Firstly I have to say I have not time at present to read the whole Thread but I will do so later.

Thank you for the Thread and the points you make, the information you have provided will aid us if we ever discuss the matter of the name Jehovah with a Witness.

We will be better equipped to express ourselves in an accurate way, which surely is the only way to wake them up. As you say early in the Thread, just one inaccuracy and a JW will hone in on that as though it makes everything you have said wrong.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    You are mistaking an attempt to help you reason for trolling. Freemind and I have made valid points regarding god and his ablity to preserve his own name, if you care to truly reason. The problem is your so caught up in esoteric nonsense regarding monks and latin your missing the forest for the trees. Freeminds example of arguing over spiderman is apt, if only you care to think about it.
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    Freeminds example of arguing over spiderman is apt, if only you care to think about it.

Right _Morpheus, and Judas Priest too.

No room for Spiderman trolling in this thread, sorry, go start your own topic. Maybe your Thor can weigh in on Scandinavian troll sagas and the veracity of comic heroes. Or Goofy can rebel yell into the discussion?!

If you have so little regard for the OP and it's relevance in this forum then why not just ignore the discussion and concentrate on taking part in topics you find more relevant? Oh! I almost forgot, you're just interested in trolling and making a nuisance of yourself. Right!

• Earnest
    Earnest

oppostate, thanks for your most interesting exposition. I have recently been reading the book you refer to by Gerard Gertoux and have almost completed it. I note that in his book Dagger of Faith Against the Moors and the Jews Martini insisted on the necessity of using the name quoting Isaiah 52:6 "For that reason my people will know my name".

You refer to the Karaites above and they were a Jewish faith in contrast to the Rabbanites in that they did not follow the Talmud but continued to use God's name in worship and conversation as testified by Quirquisani in the tenth century. Martini was not just a Catholic monk, he was one of the leading Hebrew scholars of his day and quite possibly received the pronunciation from the Karaites although he does not actually say so.

It is a shame that a moderately academic post receives such little serious response but that reflects on the posters and not the thread.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

May I flap my cojonads around for just a minute?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to research and share your thoughts on this subject. It seems you love god and want to preserve the modern trend of using the name of the Big J. I guess I don't really care if you want to use Elohim, Adonai, Yahweh, Jehover, Abba, Allah, Lord... whatever. For whatever reason, god allowed his name in it's original given form to be discontinued. Whether it was superstition or culture, that really doesn't change the fact. It doesn't seem like he cares one way or another about what you or I call him.

My issue is with JWs teaching that using the name Jehovah is the only way to have an approved relationship with him, and the only way to salvation. They overemphasize this modern name to sell their brand and put themselves on a unique pedestal.

When I was at the height of my indocrination, I honestly thought that the world knew that god's only true name was Jehovah, but they refused to use it because they were being manipulated by Satan and wanted to worship Jesus. Now I know that it isn't used because the real pronunciation is unknown, and Jesus himself never used it! The reality is that JWs owe so much to the Catholics. I think they should start calling themselves "The Catholic Witnesses of Jehovah".

Jesus (who I think is a bit more qualified than you or I to convey god's preferences) used "father" and "my god" when referring to the Hebrew deity. That seems good enough to me.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Ok opp. I get everyone blames martini for Jehovah and you are saying that is wrong. Do you believe the name Jehovah to be a hybrid or not though?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I reject the idea that i or freemind are trolling you. Far from it, we have asked serious questions regarding the very core of the matter. If god is all powerful why is there any question regarding his name whatsoever? If he is not all powerfull then what does the translation of 'yhwh' really matter....?

However, having expressed myself on the notion i will leave you to your sudo scholarship of ancient monks and vowel points

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas or Father Christmas?

God, LORD, Jehovah, Yahweh...

IT DOESN'T MATTER as neither of those characters exist.

• Listener
    Listener

Bonsai makes some good comments and had me thinking about the scripture that was imbedded upon our minds in the 70s - The nations shall have to know that I am Jehovah. There was even a book about this but it led me to this thread and a comment by a guy called Jason Dulle

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/187201/nations-shall-know-that-am-jehovah-how-online?page=1

I loved his conclusion

<<In conclusion, although it is not necessarily wrong to say God’s name as Jehovah, by no means can it be claimed that Jehovah is the name of God that has only been restored to us in these recent times. At best Jehovah can only be claimed to be an acceptable way of pronouncing God’s name in the English language, and at worst it could be said to be a phonetic corruption of God’s name. The probable pronunciation of God’s revealed name is Yahweh.">>

He has a good point, you can't claim to restore something unless you know what existed originally, without having to make guesses or invent it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit